When :from Tuesday 23 September, 2014 18:00 to Thursday 2 October, 2014 17:30
Type of event :Специальное мероприятие
Where :UNESCO Headquarters / Institut du Monde arabe, 125 Avenue de Suffren (UNESCO), 75007, Paris, France
Contact :Paulette Forest - firstname.lastname@example.org
Within the framework of the International Decade for the Rapprochement of Cultures (2013-2022) and the Programme of Action on a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence, UNESCO hosts the Festival of Mediterranean Cultures in partnership with "Culture Sud" from 22 September to 2 October 2014 at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris (France).
This Festival consists of three main events:
- An art and craft exhibition inaugurated on 23 September 2014 in the Miro Space
- A concert performed by the Algerian Group Babylone on 20 September 2014 at the Auditorium of the Institute of the Arab World (Institut du Monde arabe) in Paris
- A roundtable on 29 September 2014 on the role and contribution of artists and intellectuals from the Mediterranean to a culture of peace in Room IV (3:00-5:00 pm).
15 countries will participate in this Festival of Mediterranean Cultures whose objectives are:
- to bring artists and intellectuals of the Mediterranean countries in order to create synergy around Arts and Culture, factors of dialogue, understanding and peace;
- to gather the largest number of public and private stakeholders in the Mediterranean countries beyond origins and religions, promoting the humanistic values of liberty, fraternity and peace to fight obscurantism in a crucial moment for the Region:
- to improve the image of the southern shore of the Mediterranean by the quality and creativity of its artists and fruitful exchanges that may result from such encounters, valuing a the complementarity and mutual enrichment of Mediterranean countries in the field of Arts and Crafts Art.
The axis of the approach is the transmission of intangible heritage, a common wealth between both shores. The event is part of a larger project which began in 2005 and includes several aspects such as training, production and promotion. Transmission is also performed between established artists and young artists who deserve to be known, between generations and countries on both shores.
The objective is to bring artists and intellectuals together around humanistic and progressive values, to educate the general public about the role of culture and its impact on human and social development, but also to enhance the role of Mediterranean countries and their contribution to a culture of peace and the rapprochement of cultures.
The expected results of the Festival rely on exchange and dialogue between artists, designers and associations, from different artistic fields and Mediterranean countries, allowing them to develop joint projects at the regional level.
The association "Culture Sud" aims to preserve, develop and promote the Mediterranean intangible heritage by adapting it to contemporary creativity.
The actions of "Culture Sud" have been developed mainly through the project "Heritage and creativity in the Mediterranean" implemented since 2004 with UNESCO's support.