“Exchange Day” on the Cultural Heritage and our Oceans of the 2001 Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage
The 2018 "Exchange Day” will focus on the important role that underwater cultural heritage plays in the understanding, promotion and protection of Oceans within the United Nations Decade for Ocean Sciences. The meeting will be followed by a closed meeting between the accredited NGOs of the UNESCO 2001 Convention with the Members of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Body
The “Exchange Day” is open to the public and will precede the 9th session of the Meeting of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Body (STAB), scheduled to take place on 24 April 2018. All participants are invited to take part in the discussions.
The main issues to be discussed during the meeting are:
• UNESCO’s mission to save the heritage of the Oceans;
• Underwater Cultural Heritage. A diversity in need of safeguarding and synergies;
• Underwater Cultural Heritage - The Human Identity of the Oceans is under threat;
• Synergies and Collaboration for the International Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development;
• Synergies between the 1972 Convention World Heritage Marine Programme and the 2001 Underwater Cultural Heritage Convention; and,
• Cultural Heritage in Coastal Regions and the Impact of Rising Sea Levels.