Enhancing Island Resilience through Education for Sustainable Development
During the 3rd Small Island Developing States Conference (Samoa, 1-4 September 2014), UNESCO in partnership with the Governments of the Cook Islands, the Dominican Republic, Japan, and the Republic of Mauritius will organise a side event on the contribution of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) to enhancing island resilience.
The side event will present good practice on ESD in Small Island Developing States and develop recommendations for implementing the Global Action Programme on ESD – the follow up to the UN Decade of ESD (2005-2014) – in SIDS. These recommendations will be presented at the UNESCO World Conference on ESD in November 2014 in Aichi-Nagoya, Japan.
In particular, the side event will:
• highlight ESD as a sound investment in education;
• showcase how ESD can be implemented by national education systems in SIDS;
• provide examples on the contribution of ESD towards sustainable and resilient societies;
• illustrate successful cases of ESD in action in UNESCO Biosphere Reserves as real life learning sites;
• recommend how the Global Action Program on ESD can be implemented with regard to SIDS.