When :from Tuesday 8 March, 2016 07:00 to Tuesday 8 March, 2016 22:00
Type of event :Interagency meeting
Where :Accra, Ghana
The world celebrates IWD annually on the 8th of March. This is usually a time to reflect on progress made, to call for action in addressing persisting and widespread inequalities and violence against women and to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in their countries including Ghana.
This year’s theme is “Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality”, which directs our focus on the 2030 Agenda and the need to build momentum for the effective implementation of the new Sustainable Development Goals under which gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment are well positioned.
In preparation towards the celebration of this year’s IWD in Ghana, the UN Gender Team, chaired by UNESCO, (Champion: IOM Country Director) will produce a vox pop- a video compilation of messages from Heads of Agencies. The messages should focus on underserved women who need attention in the context of the SDGs. The video will be distributed to a number of radio and TV stations for their use and posted on social media platforms.
The overall message will be: “LEAVING NO WOMAN IN GHANA BEHIND”
Objectives of the Voice Pops
- Raise awareness on the SDGs among the general public, in particular its linkages and potential for gender equality and women’s empowerment
- To highlight the situation and vulnerabilities of specific marginalized and underserved groups of Ghanaian women and call for their inclusion in the SDGs implementation in Ghana.
- To seek national commitment from all stakeholders on promoting gender equality and women empowerment targets by 2030
- To give voice to the voiceless underserved women
- UN System in Ghana’s visibility and delivery as one approach on SDGs enhanced
- UN System’s commitment to gender equality and women’s empowerment communicated to the general public
- A platform to empower women towards achieving 2030 targets on gender equality created through UN Agency’s Mandate.
Target Group: UN Agencies in Ghana, media and the general public.
Timeline: 4th March, 2016
The activities are
1. A Joint Press release
2. Production of a video vox pop (HoAs or representative) for radio and TV stations
3. Compilation of excerpts of UN agencies' funds' programmes' global messages for local media