ASEAN Forum of National Bioethics Committees on Haze Pollution
The Forum will focus on the application of bioethical and human rights principles contained in the Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights to the social and environmental aspects of haze pollution in Southeast Asia.
The Forum is organized in the framework of Malaysian Funds-in-Trust project on addressing the problem of haze from bioethical and sustainability science perspectives. It uses the Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights to frame the debate on haze pollution, and to generate evidence-based, ethically derived recommendations for relevant actors and stakeholders.
Participants of the Forum will include:
- Members of the National Bioethics Committees from ASEAN countries
- Representatives of other relevant national entities, such as the Environmental Agencies from the region
- Regional and international environmental NGOs
- Representatives of the private sector
- International and national experts
To facilitate the discussions and to guide the generation of evidence-based recommendations during the Forum, UNESCO is partnering with institutions in Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia to conduct collaborative research on the ethical, social and legal implications of haze in the region.
* ASEAN: Association of South-East Asian Nations