3rd Meeting of the Core Group of the Global Alliance for Literacy within the Framework of Lifelong Learning (GAL)
This third meeting of the Core Group comes a day before International Literacy Day, and brings together 49 members of the GAL Core Group, representing UNESCO Member States, international organizations, civil society and the private sector.
The consultative meeting follows the endorsement of the GAL Road Map for Action: The Way Forward to 2030, in December 2016, and the agreement of the GAL Work Plan 2017–2018 in May 2017. Participants will undertake group work to further discuss and, it is hoped, propose concrete plans and actions, in furtherance not only of the implementation of the GAL Work Plan 2017–2018, but also of youth and adult literacy at global, regional, national and community levels.
The meeting is expected to have the following results:
- A concept note for a GAL knowledge-sharing platform and implementation modalities.
- An advocacy strategy for youth and adult literacy at global, regional and national levels.
- A GAL policy brief and recommendations on requirements and key steps to ensure the integration of Target 4.6 of the Sustainable Development Goals – ‘By 2030, ensure that all youth and a substantial proportion of adults, both men and women, achieve literacy and numeracy’ – into education sector policies and plans from a sector-wide perspective.
- A plan for promoting digital resources for youth and adult literacy and numeracy, including open educational resources (OERs).
- GAL recommendations on developing an inter-sectoral approach to youth and adult literacy.
The Global Allliance for Literacy is a multi-stakeholder partnership led by UNESCO and coordinated by the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL).