When :from Monday 11 June, 2018 09:00 to Saturday 16 June, 2018 17:55
Type of event :Category 2-Intergovernmental meeting
Where :Room XII, 7, place de Fontenoy, 75007, Paris, France
The IHP Council is responsible for the planning, defining priorities and supervising the execution of the International Hydrological Programme (IHP). The Council is composed of 36 Member States of UNESCO elected by the General Conference of UNESCO at its ordinary sessions, held every two years. Equitable geographical distribution and appropriate rotation of the representatives of the Member States are ensured in the composition of the Council.
During this 23rd session, the Council, which is responsible for planning the International Hydrological Programme, defining its priorities and supervising its execution, will in particular discharge the following duties:
(1) Elect the incoming Chairperson and the Vice-Chairpersons;
(2) Examine the institutional developments at the Natural Science Sector and the Division of Water Sciences following the 200th, 201st, 202nd, 203rd and 204nd sessions of the Executive Board and the 39th session of the General Conference, as well as the governance of IHP;
(3) Review the progress on the implementation of the eighth phase of IHP (IHP-VIII), including regional perspectives on IHP and its cooperation with other UNESCO programmes;
(4) Discuss on the Strategic preparation for IHP´s Ninth Phase (2022-2029);
(5) Examine the status of the UNESCO’s Water Family, which includes Category 2 Centres and chairs under the auspices of UNESCO and the World Water Assessment Programme;
(6) Review IHP’s cooperation with other agencies within the UN system, and other intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.