International Decade for the Rapprochement of Cultures (2013-2022)
How to make it happen?
The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed the period 2013-2022 as the “International Decade for the Rapprochement of Cultures” in December 2012 (Resolution 67/104)
An Action Plan was adopted by the Executive Board of UNESCO in April 2014 (Document 194 EX/10). Through this Action Plan :
A three-steps approach towards the rapprochement of cultures was defined, including :
- To evaluate the current status of inclusive policies, respectful of diversity and Human Rights;
- Setting annual priorities by elaborating or revising action plans, programmes or activities;
- Establishing meaningful and lasting partnerships at a national, regional and international level.
Four areas were determined as follows :
- Promoting mutual understanding and reciprocal knowledge of cultural, ethnic, linguistic and religious diversity;
- Building a pluralist framework for commonly shared values;
- Disseminating the principles and tools of intercultural dialogue through quality education and the media and;
- Fostering dialogue for sustainable development and its ethical, social and cultural dimensions.