Strengthening civil society in countries of the global South
Demand-oriented advising of civil society actors, especially young people with leadership potential and cultural administrations, to improve cooperative cultural management in newly emerging democracies
1 CONNEXXIONS programme: Capacity building in newly emerging democracies, 2012-2015
2 Cultural Innovators Network: Networking and development project for young cultural actors from the Mediterranean region, 2012
1 Strengthening democratic contribution, participation in cultural life and cultural management by civil society in newly emerging democracies in the Arab world through capacity building, support for talented young people, exchange of expertise, knowledge transfers and networking
2 Developing long-lasting networks in the Mediterranean region, strengthening civil society, realising projects on current social, political and cultural issues
Approx. 350,000 EUR total.
- Some 300 cultural actors from newly emerging democracies in the Arab world and international resource people took part in nine workshops, seminars and labs in Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt and Jordan.
- Internal formative evaluation report in 2014 about CONNEXXIONS activities from 2012 to 2013. Most important results: 80 per cent of participants reported an above-average level of satisfaction, connection to 2005 Convention was positively assessed, successful initiation of networks and partnerships, participants implement or pass on inputs.
2 Cultural Innovators Network
- 110 cultural innovators identified: 54 per cent from European countries and 46 per cent from Arab countries
- Formats: Learning Journeys, 3 regional forums, 5 Cultural Innovation Days (in Algiers, Baghdad, Beirut, Berlin, Thessaloniki), 10 CINnovation Journeys
- Focusing on refugee issues since 2015 (e.g. Homesick & Hope project, an online platform for refugee artists to exhibit their work). Statistics: http://culturalinnovators.org/about/documents, projects http://culturalinnovators.org/projects)