Strategy of the Inclusion of Migrant Children, Pupils and Students into the Education System in the Republic of Slovenia
According to the Strategy of the Inclusion of Migrant Children, Pupils and Students into the Education System in the Republic of Slovenia (2007), the following measures, apart from the supplementary lessons of mother tongue, are being carried out:
- Additional expert help in learning Slovenian, financed by government;
- Adaptation of the implemented curriculum (a sort of individual programme with more Slovenian language at the beginning of schooling);
- Preparation of strategies for working with parents of migrant children;
- New practice-oriented strategies, especially how to work with parents, developing new multilingual materials, available on websites and distributed to teachers free of charge,
- A special module is being prepared for educating teachers to work with migrant children;
- Expert conferences are being organised to train principals, counselling and other professional workers;
- Encouraging intercultural learning and positive attitudes towards understanding and accepting difference (an ESF project).
Main measures are being carried out by National Educational institute, faculties and schools and are financed by national budget and European Social Fund.
One example of good practice in this area is Education for Intercultural Dialogue and Active Citizenship project, coordinated by the Slovenian Academy of Science and Art and Educational Research Institute – (800,000 €; from 2010 to 2011).
Four aims were set forward:
- To link the three levels: legislation, educational policy and school practice, and to overcome inadequate transmission of educational policies into school practice in the field of intercultural dialogue and active citizenship,
- To transcend theoretical complexity and practical contradiction between the assurance of equality and unity and the acceptance, inclusion and respect of multiculturalism of the modern Slovenia and other EU members,
- Intercultural education, which helps students to evaluate their cultural identity,
- To present intercultural competencies and propose their inclusion in the preparation of curricula and educational programmes in Slovenia.
The results of the project encompass:
- 11 publications and other materials for teachers, students and public servants,
- Several conferences, seminars and workshops,
- Several analyses of present-day situation in the Slovenian regions, based on extensive field work,
- The final conference of the project (presentation of collected materials, examples of good practice, workshops for all levels of the education system,
- Establishment of information-communication network; two registers of relevant documents and examples of good practice; two lists of stakeholders in the field of the education of intercultural dialogue and active citizenship; two active forums (migracijski-forum[@]googlegroups.com; the second one available at: http://www.medkulturni-odnosi.si/).