The Master Plan for the Development of Performing Arts to 2020 with the vision to 2030 (Prime Minister’s Decision No. 1456/QĐ-TTg dated on 19/8/2014)
In 2014, Vietnamese Government approved a Master Plan for the Development of Performing Arts to 2020 with the vision to 2030 with the objectives of improving technical infrastructure, professionalizing and resizing public art units, encouraging individuals and private sectors to invest in performing arts, developing human resource and creating high-quality art works.
The Plan emphasizes essential and urgent issues that require attention for development in the period of 2015-2030 as follows:
- Regional planning for performing arts development to 2020 based on potential availability and cultural identities of the region, in line with the direction of region’s culture and tourism development to 2020, with the purposes of preserving the traditional art forms in cultural space, and developing high-end contemporary art forms for international integration: North, Central and South of Viet Nam.
- Set up State-management mechanisms with decentralization to provinces and cities; gradually reduce licensing to be replaced by post-examination, increasing the autonomy and self-responsibility of art organizations, establishing new policies which are matched with the reality of development such as salary mechanisms, employment allowances, rehearsing and performance allowance, royalties, social insurance mechanisms, working age, retiring age, appraisal regulations of art work, training policies, and scholarship mechanisms for performing art pupils and students;
- Discover, train and cultivate fully competent human resources to satisfy the requirements of a performing arts industry, including human resource development for the section of administration, creation, production and distribution.
- Construct international-standard theatres which will be popular destinations and symbols of some provinces and cities, meeting the increasingly high standards of sound, light and visual techniques and other high-end skills required for indoors and outdoors art performances; selectively invest in some agents with advanced technology in sound and video recording, and art event organization by mobilizing social resourses.
- Continue to realize the roadmap of socializing art and performing activities by enhancing the equitized process of theaters and art troupes with high popularity; promoting public and private partnership; the Government can gradually invest in selected private organizations and individuals who create art works with high artistic quality.
Target to 2020:
Complete the planning of a nationwide performing arts organization system; complete the policy-making system on performing art in par with social development and encourage the creativity of artists; form a pool of professional and specialized drama editors, directors, art designers, composers, painters, actors, technology and technique experts, producers, and managers who are capable to develop the Vietnamese performing arts with the values of traditions, modern and humane; complete the building relevant institutions system, infrastructure and technical facilities meeting the demand of the development of technologies of organizing and producing programmes and art works in the field of performing arts, emphasizing on the commercial values and the improvement of socio-economic quality and effectiveness of performing arts; reduce the imbalance between urban and rural areas - investing in the construction of 10% of the total number of theaters for provinces and cities that do not have halls for performing arts.
Target to 2030:
Vietnamese performing arts possess a resource of composers and producers at least as effective as those across the region of Southeast Asia and Asia, among whom there are internationally recognized talents; and develop a rich human resource with creative approaches and high-standard art products. In addition, plan and facilitate modern and high-tech infrastructure for each region with the focus on improving products and service in the performing art industry to international standards.
- From State budget: State budget provides fund for investment, improvement and renewing of national-level buildings, financially support for renovating and improving and renewing theatres for disadvantaged provinces, supports finance for human resouce training domestically and abroad, supports construction and provision of technical facility for practicing studios and workshop of theater arts and other performing arts; Provincial budget is for renovation, improvement, upgrading and renewing of movie theaters, and technical facility for performing art units.
- Socializing fund: enterprises, local and international individuals and organizations in obligation with regulations of Vietnamese Law.
- For upgrading, renovating and renewing works: 60% from State budget, approximately 40% from other sources – For human resource training: approximately 50% from State budget, the other 50% from other sources.