Lithuanian Culture Institute
Lithuanian Culture Institute (further referred to as "LCI") is a state budgetary institution, established in 2014 by the Ministry of Culture on the basis of the former International Culture Programme Centre. LCI operates as a subsidiary institution of the Ministry of Culture in pursuit of the following objectives:
– to promote Lithuania through culture and arts;
– to increase the international scope of the national cultural field;
– to contribute to foreign policy strands and the formation of cultural diplomacy;
– to promote international dialogue and mutual trust;
– to strengthen creative and cultural industries;
– to promote Lithuanian literature and translations;
– to advance global Lithuanian artists;
– to ensure accurate communication.
The Lithuanian Culture Institute runs 6 major programs:
1. Promotion of Lithuanian arts abroad. In collaboration with the network of cultural attaches in Europe, USA, Israel and China and international partners, LCI designs and implements individual projects and big scale representative Lithuanian Culture Season programmes . In 2015, 197 individual projects and one special program "Lithuania in Krakow: Culture Season 2015" were implemented. The latter featured 10 projects of visual arts, music, theatre, literature and commemoration of cultural history, which involved major Lithuanian and Polish culture and arts institutions.
2. Promotion of artists, culture experts and operators mobility; presentation of Lithuanian culture and creative industries at international events. In 2014, LCI supported or provided assistance to 503 Lithuanian artists and culture operators participating in international projects abroad. 10 tailor-made research tours to Lithuania for international culture professionals were organized. In 2015 LCI supported projects involving 417 Lithuanian artists and invited 74 foreign art professionals from EU countries, USA, Ukraine, Russia, Japan, China, Brazil and Mexico.
3. Implementation of bilateral and multilateral culture cooperation programs (please refer to measure "Bilateral and Multilateral Cultural Cooperation")
4. Promotion of Lithuanian literature and translations. LCI represents Lithuania in international book fairs; translators, consults foreign publishers; organizes match-making events. In 2015, probation translations and literature translations into 16 languages were supported. Research tours for publishers from UK, Germany and Austria were organized in preparation of Lithuania's participation in Leipzig Book Fair 2017 and London Book Fair 2018.
5. Design and implementation of culture event programs at Vilnius International Book Fair. In 2015, 402 events including talk-shows, concerts, film screenings and workshops were arranged.
Better representation of Lithuania as a country worldwide, and Lithuanian arts and culture in particular; growth of international cultural exchanges; invigorating Lithuanian culture scene, impact for development of culture and creative industries.
Annual budget in 2015 (the first full calendar year of operation) - 836 300 EUR