International component of the Policy on arts and culture
Introduced in 2001
- To provide reference point for Namibia.
- To get the stimulation through international contacts and exchange in order to overcome the effects of many years of isolation.
- To ensure regional and international integration.
- To encourage arts and culture to take new forms of and use new media and technology, especially to attract and engage the young, so that we have a sense of our roots, but also engage in contemporary expressions and ways of life.
- To be cognizance of practices in all our cultures which must be changed, especially when these are in conflict with the rights enshrined in our Constitution or with internationally accepted ethics or the common good or environmental limitations.
- To give a special status to our arts and culture practitioners, including minority groups and people with disabilities. To encourage government to offer at least four bursaries to disadvantaged and deserving people to study in the field of arts and culture annually.
This policy or measure has been implemented in cooperation with international agencies engaged in the development of arts and culture in Namibia.
Challenges identified in the implementation of this measure:
- Many of such people think that the policy is outdated and needs to be updated.
- Many people think that the policy is not a benchmark for the overall sector in which their organizations/institutions operate.
- Cultural exchange agreements do not often go beyond the stage of signatures.
- The policy is enriched by all progressive legal instruments internationally aiming to improve arts and culture.
Indicator: Legal instruments used in drawing up the policy.
- Countries that have established cultural centers or have cultural attaché attached to their foreign missions provide regular support through arts and culture programmes.
Indicator: Names of such countries are available.
- International agencies were engaged in the development of arts and culture in Namibia to our mutual benefit e.g. arts and culture exchanges.
Indicator: Names of such agencies are available.