Georgian National Book Centre (GNBC)
The Georgian National Book Center was established by the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia. The Center aims at enhancing intercultural dialogue through literature and strengthening the publishing sector. The objectives of the GNBC are to promote:
- Georgian books and literature abroad;
- Foreign literature in Georgia
- Centuries-long Georgian intellectual resources to the international literary and publishing arena.
Also, to maintain cultural diversity in the book sector and to encourage foreign publishing houses to publish Georgian literature.
The Georgian National Book Center (GNBC) is operating at arm’s-length from government even though it is the state funding agency established by the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia in 2014.
Georgian National Book Center (GNBC) is operating at arm’s-length from government even though it is the state funding agency established by the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia in 2014.
The Georgian National Book Center supports, by different measures and schemes promotion of Georgian literature abroad and vice versa. It also fosters the development of publishing sector.
The translation program of the Georgian National Book Center is designed for foreign and local publishing houses willing to translate and publish Georgian and/or foreign literature. The GNBC priorities include:
- Designing the strategy for promotion of Georgian literature abroad and supporting its translation into foreign languages as well as publication;
- Designing the strategy for the improvement of translation quality through providing professional programmes for translators and critics (special seminars, workshops, conferences and short-term residence programs for translators;
- Organizing special professional seminars, conferences and forums for the development of the publishing sector in Georgia;
- Supporting the participation of Georgian Publishers at international book fairs and organising collective stands of Georgia.
The model, which was elaborated by the Georgian National Book Center for supporting translations is largely oriented towards raising the interest of foreign publishing houses. The GNBC covers:
- translation costs 100% ;
- printing costs (50-100%)
- translation and printing costs (maximum of 50% of entire budget of the project)
- Georgian National Stands at International Book Fairs.
Policy ensures the development of Georgian book sector and fosters its visibility at the international level. From 2015 to 2018, one of the key projects of the GNBC is to ensure Georgia’s presence at Frankfurt Book Fair 2018, as the Guest of Honor country.
In 2012-2015 the GNBC and the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia supported about 100 international projects involving publishing houses from 18 countries. Since 2008, Georgia has been presented at the following international book fairs: The Frankfurt Book Fair (2007-2016), The Leipzig Book Fair (2012-2016), The London Book Fair (2013-2016), Bologna Children’s Book Fair (2016). The GNBC also supported 100 literary events abroad (presentations, discussions, readings) and professional programs (for translators, publishers, editors, authors, critics).
In 2012-2015 the GNBC supported: translation of 93 Georgian books into 22 foreign languages, 25 translations of foreign literature into Georgian. 71 Georgian and foreign translators were engaged in the programme.
The budget of the GNBC is as follows:
- in 2014 - 650.000 (250 000 Euro);
- in 2015– 700 000 GEL (280 000 Euro) .