Establishing the Ministry of Women and Gender Equality
During 2015, the law creating the Ministry of Women and Gender Equity, currently being installed, which will be responsible for the formulation of sector policies. This new Institutionality will provide the tools to strengthen state policies dedicated to achieving equity between men and women. Also, this Secretary of State shall coordinate the work of an Interministerial Committee, whose purpose is to install a gender perspective in a cross-cutting manner in public institutions.
 See http://www.leychile.cl/Navegar?idNorma=1075613
This Ministry will be responsible for designing, coordinating and evaluating policies, plans and programs to promote gender equality and seek to eliminate all forms of discrimination against women. In addition, it will work for:
- Promote and protect the rights of women and gender equality.
- Work for all women no matter their age, physical condition, place of residence, income, sexual orientation, national origin or ethnicity are treated with respect and without discrimination at work, in places of study or on the streets.
- Work for the eradication of violence against women in all its forms and places where it occurs.
- Encourage the participation of women in policy-making spaces, economic and social decision.
- Promote the responsibility of men and women in the upbringing and care of the daughters and sons.
- Publish reports and studies on the situation of women and gender equality to improve public policy.
- Ensuring respect and fulfillment of human rights of women, according to international treaties and conventions that the State of Chile has signed.
The first inequality that exists in our country is between women and men. There is inequality in the training of children in work opportunities, legal, economic, property, personal development and autonomy, access to culture, to the decision-making and political representation spaces. Women earn less, have less work than men and lower quality, less involved in the public space, have fewer rights to manage their money and responsibility for family care still falls mainly on them.
To advance the end of these inequalities, from the highest institutionality, the Ministry of Women and Gender Equity was created. The creation of the ministry will allow a qualitative leap in gender policies in the country, giving a treatment and continuity required.
Information no available.