The Disabled Persons Act
Ministry of Social Services, Labour and Social Welfare
Key objectives of the measure:
- To achieve equal opportunities for disabled persons by ensuring that they obtain education and employment, participate fully in sporting, recreation and cultural activities
- To enable disabled persons, so far as possible to lead independent lives
- To prevent discrimination against disabled persons resulting from or arising out of their disability
- To encourage and secure the rehabilitation of disabled persons within their own communities and social environment
- Encourage the use and development of forms of communication suitable for persons with physical or mental disabilities.
Scope of the measure:
Nature of the measure:
Main feature of the measure:
The Disabled Persons Act came into force in 1992. According to the Act, a disabled person is, “a person with a physical, mental or sensory disability, including a visual, hearing or speech functional disability which gives rise to physical, cultural or social barriers inhibiting him or her from participating at an equal level with other members of society in activities, undertakings or fields of employment that are open to other members of society”. The Act makes provisions for the welfare of disabled persons as well for the appointment and functions of a Director for Disabled persons’ affairs. It provided for the establishment of a National Disability Board.
Results expected through the implementation of the measure:
- Mainstreaming of disability issues in every facet of life
- Development of programmes for the welfare of people living with disabilities, especially work programmes consistent with their capabilities and acceptable to them or their legal representatives
- Fostering social organizations aimed at improving the quality of life of persons with all forms of disability
- Putting in place appropriate measures to ensure that buildings and amenities to which the public has access are accessible to persons with disabilities
- Having access to medical, psychological and functional treatment
- Provision of special facilities for their education
- Provision of State funded education and training where needed.
Financial resources allocated to implement the measure:
Area(s) of Monitoring