Key objectives of the measure:
Cultural legislation aims at the introduction of a legal framework regarding cultural rights, i.e. people´s rights to participate in the cultural life of a community and the right of creators to benefit from the protection of the moral and material interests to which they are entitled. (http://www.portaluruguaycultural.gub.uy/legislacion-cultural/)
Scope of the measure:
Local, Regional, National
Main feature of the measure:
- Approval of the Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions and its Annex, adopted by UNESCO on 20 October 2005: Law 18068 of 11 December 2006.
- Creation of the National Directorate of Culture: Law 18172 of 27 July 2007 (Annual accounts). Objectives: promotion, coordination, administration and exucution of cultural development projects by the government.
- Creation of the National Archive System: Law 18220 of 20 December 2007. Objectives: conservation and organization of the nation´s documentary heritage and current administrative documentation.
- Community Radio Broadcasting in Uruguay: Law 18232 of 22 December 2007. (Regulation, which recognizes and promotes community radio and TV stations as an exercise of freedom of expression).
- Creation of the Film and Audiovisual Institute (ICAU): Law 18284 of 16 May 2008.
- Tax system / exemption from value-added tax (VAT) on discs and film distribution: Law 18341 of 30 August 2008.
- Social protection of artists and related occupations: Law 18384 of 17 October 2008.
- Creation of the SODRE Audiovisual Archive: Law 18501of 18 June 2009.
- Creation of the Contemporary Arts Space: by ministerial decree.
- Creation of the Pedro Figari Museum: Law 18719 of 27 December 2010.
Area(s) of Monitoring