The Constitution of the People's Republic of Bangladesh guarantees the conservation of cultural traditionand heritage of the people and calls for measures that will foster and improve the national language,literature and the arts. The Ministry of Cultural Affairs, through its different organizations, is focused onenriching the intellectual status of the nation through preservation, research and development of culture,history, heritage, arts and literature. Under the 7th Five Year Plan (FYP), various activities will be undertaken that will promote the healthy growth of cultural activities throughout the country. Programmes for development ofBengali language and literature and reference books for higher education will be continued with greateremphasis. Within the framework of national unity, steps will be taken to preserve and promote language,arts and culture of ethnic communities through cultural centres in tribal areas. To restore and preserve many of the intangible cultural heritages that are on the verge of extinction, digitization efforts will beimplemented. The Ministry will also reiterate the importance of archaeological sites by conducting nationalsurveys and programmes for further development. The Antiquities Act will be amended to strengthen protection of archaeological sites and historical monuments. Programmes will also be undertaken to developmuseums and folk art. To enhance appreciate of fine arts, various subjects will be introduced in primary andsecondary level as per education policy. The Ministry of Cultural Affairs envisages for a culturally and intellectually developed nation where theintellectual status of the nation will be enriched through preservation, research and development of culture, history, heritage, arts and literature. The history, civilization, national character and identity of a nation arereflected by its culture. In line with the course of cultural progress in the universal context, Ministry of Cultural Affairs is delivering relentless effort for development, preservation, promotion and extension ofthe cultural elements of Bangladesh through its different organizations. Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy isengaged for preserving, developing, promoting and encouraging national culture through fine arts, drama,music etc. Bangla Academy, Public Library, National Book Centre, National Archives and National Libraryare responsible for education, research, publishing of books & journals and give support to all categories ofreaders. Department of Archaeology preserves historical sites and exhibits the antiques. National Museumpreserves and exhibits the cultural heritage of Bangladesh. Folk Art and Crafts Foundation is working forpreservation and development of folk art & crafts. The Copyright Office is serving to protect intellectualproperty rights of creative works from piracy. Besides seven cultural centres for small ethnic groups arealso playing vital role in order to enhance their cultural activities.
Objectives of 7th FYP for Cultural Development
The Seventh Five Year Plan will aim to promote healthy growth of cultural activities throughout the country.In addition to promotion of literature and fine and performing arts, attention will be given to create andpromote a culture attuned work, towards perseverance, confidence and creativity. The major objectives inthis field are to:
* Develop Bengali language and literature and create facilities to develop Bengali as the medium instruction;
* Help and promote production and publication of quality books and make them available to themasses at reasonable prices;
* Undertake programmes for implementation of the national book policy;
* Carry out research on the lives and works of great men and women of our nation;
* Flourish the perception of 'Amar Ekushey';
* Establish and develop a library network system from the national to the rural level and introducemodern technology to this end;
* Promote and foster cultural activities and citizen participation throughout the country reflectingvalues, hopes and aspirations of the people;
* Develop infrastructural facilities for fine and performing arts including drama and theatre andexplore private and voluntary involvement in this area;
* Preserve and present national history, culture and heritage;
* Promote good citizenship through sensitization of rights, duties and responsibilities;
* Preserve and promote language arts and culture of small ethnic group communities within theframework of national unity;
* Protect copy rights of intellectual property.
Strategies under the 7th FYP
* Programmes for development of Bengali language and literature and reference books for higher education will be continued with greater emphasis;
* Programmes will be undertaken for book development and development of reading habits;
* Research programmes on lives and works of great people will be undertaken and memorial librariesand institutions will be established in respective areas;
* Programmes will be undertaken to develop library network, infrastructural facilities and servicesfrom national to the rural levels in order to meet the education, recreational, cultural and informationneed of people at all walks of life;
* Regional and tribal cultures will be promoted and preserved through various programmes viz.erection of more tribal cultural and language centres within the tribal areas;
* National survey on archaeological sites will be carried out and physical facilities for the departmentof archaeology will be developed for enhancing archaeological tourism;
* Programmes for further development of archaeological sites, museums and ethnological museumwill be undertaken and historical monuments will be identified and preserved;
* Private sector as well as the local government bodies will be encouraged to contribute theirresources and efforts for cultural development;
* Amendment to the Antiquities Act will be undertaken to strengthen protection of archaeologicalsites and historical monuments;
* Fine arts like music, painting, arts & crafts, recitation, acting; dancing, theatrical performanceswould be introduced at primary & secondary level as per education policy.
Current & Future Challenges for the Sub Sector
To preserve and develop our tangible and intangible cultural heritage needs involvement of people at thegrassroots level to ensure participatory planning. Many of the intangible cultural heritages like languageliteratures, arts, performing arts, music and other areas are at the verge of extinction. Careful attention needsto be given for their restoration, preservation and digitization. Institutional establishment as well as humanresources development for such delicate works needs to be made carefully.The Archaeological sites are invaluable properties to our history. Most of the sites are yet to be explored,preserved and restored. Due to shortage of skill, human resources, funds and communities involvement it isgreatly impaired. Proper perspective, short, medium and long-term plan needs to be carried out. As per neweducation policy school curriculum included subjects like art, music, dance theatre etc. as an optionalsubject. Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy should be equipped to produce a huge numbers of subject orientedtexts and teachers for matching with national needs.
ADP Allocations for Cultural Affairs in 7th Plan is (74 billion BDT) around 95 Million USD (2016 dollar rate as 78 BDT to 1 USD) for 5 years till 2020.
|Name of partner||Type of entity|
Ministry of Information
Ministry of Finance
Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy
Department of Archaeology
Bangladesh Copyright Office