Cultural activities – Grant tender proceedings (Call for proposals) Department of Literature and Libraries
The purpose of the measure is:
- to cooperate with other central and local government agencies to ensure optimal and functional development of librarianship, to collate and update data on the state of public libraries, in particular it keeps records on libraries in accordance with Section 5 of Act No. 257/2001 Coll., on libraries and the conditions of operation of public libraries and information services (Library Act);
- to provide contacts to professional associations of librarians, writers and translators, publishers and book distributors;
- to organize the State Prize for Literature, the State Prize for Translation Work and the Book of the Year Award;
- to participate in the organisation of the “Most beautiful Czech books of the year” award and to ensure its involvement in the “World’s most beautiful book” international competition;
- to provide administrative support for projects connected with literature and libraries under the Library Public Information Services and Czech Library programmes (support for the purchase of works of Czech literature by libraries), and the grant proceedings for the Cultural Activities programme: 21st century library, Support for the publication of Czech and translated literature, Support for the publication of original illustrated works for children and young people, Support for the public of comic books, Support for literary periodicals, events and other projects in the area of literature, and Support for translations of Czech literature abroad.
a) The Library Public Information Service Programme is a systemic solutions enabling state participation in ensuring access for all Czech citizens to information connected to international information links. The grant is provided to train librarians in information and communication technologies, for projects involving the creation and opening up of data networks (the creation of electronic catalogues, ICT support in libraries, digitalisation of manuscripts and old and rare prints and documents at risk of destruction because of paper acidity), for the purchase of electronic resources, etc... Public services in libraries primarily focus on:
- the provision of publicly accessible areas with qualified staff and ICT equipment, which guarantee a level playing field for access to information sources and networks for all groups of citizens;
- support for life-long learning and satisfying the cultural needs of citizens;
- allowing access to public sector information within the meaning of Act No. 106/1999 Coll., on free access to information;
- the provision of information to support tourism, business, legal awareness, the mediation of information and documents for the research and development sector;
- the preservation and opening up of the national cultural heritage kept in book stocks.
b) Cultural Activities Programme – 21st Century Library grant proceedings is focused on activities supporting above-standard library, information and cultural-educational activities, particularly by local libraries in the Czech Republic, to promote accessibility of information for disabled citizens and to protect the book stock against adverse environmental impacts. It was announced for the following sectors:
- Support for work with ethnic minorities and the integration of foreigners;
- Support for universal access to library services for disabled citizens
- Cultural and educational activities – projects focusing on developing reading, lectures, seminars, discussions, competitions, exhibitions, publications
The amounts provided to support cultural activities relating to libraries are shown below for the period under review, 2014- 2016. Financial support for the period under review, through the Library Public Information Services Programme, amounted to CZK 154,763,000. Financial support for the Cultural Activities – 21st Century Library grant proceedings programme during the period under review amounted to a total of CZK 7,498,000.
a) The LPIS programme is subdivided into individual sub-programmes, which meet a set objective. In 2014 support for the programme objectives amounted to CZK 47,233,000.
The LPIS programme is subdivided into individual sub-programmes, which meet a set objective. In 2015 support for the programme objectives amounted to CZK 47,530,000.
The LPIS programme is subdivided into individual sub-programmes, which meet a set objective. In 2016 support for the programme objectives amounted to CZK 60,000,000.
b) In 2016 116 projects were supported in sectors 1–3, for a total amount of CZK 2,635,000. As a comparison – in 2015 145 projects were supported, for a total amount of CZK 2,417,000, and in 2014 145 projects were implemented, for a total amount of CZK 2,446,000.
Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic through Department of Literature and Libraries. The Department of Literature and Libraries allocated on these activities CZK 154 763 000 in the period 2014 – 2016.