Describe the main features of the policy/measure:
In August 2020, the Australian Government established the Creative Economy Taskforce (the Taskforce) of 12 eminent experts from Australia’s cultural and creative sector and business sector to provide strategic advice on the Government’s A$250 million Creative Economy JobMaker Package and the role of the creative economy in Australia’s recovery from COVID-19. The Taskforce provides strategic advice on the cultural and creative sector within Australia, including matters to protect and promote the diversity of cultural expressions such as representation by geographical location and art form.
Website of the policy/measure, if available:
What are the results achieved so far through the implementation of the policy/measure?:
As at 31 March 2021, the Taskforce has met four times. Subgroups of the Taskforce have also met a number of times to discuss key focus areas. The Taskforce has:
- provided strategic advice on the Australian Government’s A$200 million Restart Investment to Sustain and Expand (RISE) Fund, which supports the presentation of new or re-imagined arts and entertainment events and experiences to reactivate the sector after COVID-19.
- identified four key focus areas and priorities within these areas to progress, comprising revenue generation, innovation, tourism, and mental health and wellbeing, including:
- meeting with other Australian Government portfolio areas to identify opportunities for and synergies with the creative economy, such as how the cultural and creative sector can activate cities;
- meeting with Australia’s National Mental Health Commission to promote the benefits of the cultural and creative sector for mental health and wellbeing;
- working with the Australia Council for the Arts to develop a summit on creativity, mental health and wellbeing;
- providing advice on the importance of cultural tourism; and
- recommending additional research into Australian Government business support programs to identify barriers to members of the cultural and creative sector accessing such support.
Financial resources allocated to the policy/measure in USD:
Partner(s) engaged in the implementation of the measure:
Has the implementation of the policy/measure been evaluated?: