Build the brand “Ha Noi International Film Festival”
- To attract the attention of the public audience to cinema, creating new vitality and impetus to develop Vietnam cinema towards industrialization, modernization and international integration;
- Create opportunities to expand Vietnamese film market to the world, bringing Vietnamese films into international film markets;
- Make important contributions to promote the image of Viet Nam, a beautiful, stable and hospitable country, as well as the image of Ha Noi - the city for peace, thousand-year civilization, beautiful sceneries, hospitable and elegant people; promoting cooperation and tourism development.
Consistent with the cinema development strategy until 2020, with a vision to 2030 approved by the Prime Minister in 11 November 2013, the Ha Noi International Film Festival (hereinafter abbreviated as HANIFF) is the biennual event, being held for the first time in 2010 and chosen as the focus of promotional activities in branding this event as one of the prestigious international film festivals in Asia. Festival honors the outstanding cinematographic works with high artistic values, rich in humanity, creativity, discovers and encourages new talents of cinema. The festival is an opportunity for local filmmakers to exchange and improve expertise, access to modern methods of filmmaking, seeking possibilities for cooperation and also an opportunity for the Vietnamese public audience to enjoy the outstanding works of world cinema.
Besides the program for participating films, the world cinema panorama, the focus program on a guest country cinema, the festival also organizes seminars for filmmakers to exchange expertise, "Young Talent Camp" to improve the competencies for young filmmakers and "Film project market" to build and develop the film market of Viet Nam.
- Increase the proportion of cinema-goers, the rate of Vietnam public audience having access to excellent works of world cinema
- Filmmakers and cinema practitioners in Viet Nam can exchange, improve expertise and professional competencies
- Encourage and foster young talents
- Find the sources of investment for film projects
- Introduce and export Vietnamese films into overseas markets
- Increase cooperation and service projects for foreign films
60% of the festival-running fund comes from the state budget, 40% is mobilized from domestic and foreign enterprises and organizations. Some activities attracted a high proportion of such socialization, such as the Film Festival opening ceremony (75% of the fund comes from donor sources).
The festival is very successful in creating an exciting atmosphere for the audience in the country and foreign visitors to the cinema theatres. Vietnamese films attracted the biggest number of spectators, creating a "fever" for Vietnamese films at all screenings. In many screenings, organizers had to bring in more seats, and the audience even had to sit on the floor to watch movies.
The quality of films in competition and those selected for Vietnamese and foreign film screening shows received appreciation from the professional experts, the media and the public.
The scale of the festival is expanding, attracting many excellent films from various countries and territories; professional activities within the framework of the festival are increasingly rich.
The festival has gradually established its reputation with the participation of the prestigious jury comprising of renowned experts in the world, regional and international film artists and guest stars.
The festival has contributed to the promotion of the culture brand of the capital Hanoi, the national images and tourism promotion.