Iraq has a deep-rooted civilization with substantial role in the life of humanity. It is a country of multi-cultures, nationalities, religions, doctrines, traditions, customs, arts and music, whose rights are guaranteed by the Iraqi Constitution issued 2005.
Indeed, the Iraqi government has realized the importance of cultural development and promoting the cultural diversity in order to achieve the sustainable development. So, the government actually believes by the UNESCO 2005 Convention aims and efforts, concerning the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions. Thus, it has ratified it in 22/7/2013.
The Iraqi government, in fact, has made great efforts to develop the cultural environment at both national and international levels, through adoption series active measures over the last years to support the cultural policy, social insurance, and reforming the educational system at different stages, and promoting development and cultural industries, as well as supporting artists, creators, youth, women, the disabled in addition to the children sector.
This report hereby presents a general view about the different measures and procedures of policies taken on national and international levels, listed below regarding the Convention of Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions, for the period of pre-ratification and for the last four years. As well as the future prospects and facing up the challenges over the next period to implement the Convention :
First: Cultural Policies
1. Baghdad the Capital of Arab Culture Project in 2013.
2. Baghdad joining to the Creative Cities Network of UNESCO in 2015.
3. Iraqi Central Bank allocated $ 850,000 to support cultural projects.
4. Illiteracy Eradication project.
5. Iraqi Cultural Creativity Award.
6. Iraqi Media Network Initiative to support Iraqi artist.
7. Children's Spring Annual Cultural Festival.
8. Child Central Library Project.
Second: International Cooperation
1. Cultural cooperation Program between (the Ministry of Culture ,Tourism and Antiquities) and Cemita Roberto Fund in 2014.
2. Concluding agreements of cultural and economic cooperation at regional and International levels.
Third: The Preferential Treatment
1. China in the Eyes of Arab artists - drawings field-2011.
2. China- Arab Friendship Garden , sculpture field 2015.
Fourth: Culture Integration for Sustainable Development Policies
( 4.a ) Measures at National Level.
1. Mobile Library.
2. Establishing the Cultural Houses and Palaces in Iraq.
3. Setting up Cultural Centers for the Child in Iraqi cities.
4. National Center Project to document Iraqi Culture.
5. Establishing Center for Marketing Cultural Industries.
(4.b) The Measures at the International level
(producing plays and films for children)
(4.c) The Emergence of Urgent Issues
(4.d) Gender Equality
Nazik al-Malaika's Award for the Women's Creativity .
(Youth Cinema Production Festival for Short Films)
Fifth: Civil Society Participation
(Ishtar Award for Youth)