The overall objective of this project is to promote the potential of culture for development in Senegal by establishing an educational body known as FUTUR ACADEMY. The aim is to build the capacities of directors of cultural organizations locally, as they often need support in order to formulate, implement and monitor cultural policies both locally and nationally. The target beneficiaries are therefore the leaders of Senegalese cultural civil society, networks of arts professionals and directors of regional and departmental cultural centres. Mobility is crucial to this project and officials of Groupe 30 Afrique’s FUTUR ACADEMY travel throughout Senegal in order to build the capacities of cultural project leaders nationwide.
- The academy’s first classes are on the design and implementation of cultural policy in Senegal within the social, economic, political and cultural contexts in which art is practised.
- Other classes cover cultural entrepreneurship and leadership and portray cultural industries worldwide. Management of cultural projects is taught in intensive courses in which qualified mentors conduct practical workshops.
- Other short courses cover topics such as information technology, networking, fundraising, financial management and research skills.
- In addition, the FUTUR ACADEMY holds a course on African culture, thus giving participants an overall view of the history of artistic practices on the continent. Participants are encouraged to be mobile, as it is important for cultural entrepreneurs to spend some time in various parts of the country in order to have a better understanding of Senegal’s cultural diversity.
- Lastly, each training activity is used to develop toolkits and publications for subsequent training courses.