The project aims to revise the National Cultural Policy in order to facilitate the growth and expansion of the cultural and creative industries and to enhance of the role of culture in national development through a multi-stakeholder participatory process.
The Ministry of Youth and Culture (MYC) is the public administrative and policy body responsible for developing and implementing the country’s policies concerning youth and culture.
- The National Cultural Policy is revised.
- The awareness of the general public, cultural institutions and practitioners about the relevance, value and benefits of the National Cultural Policy is raised.
- Reviewing the National Cultural Policy through ten stakeholder consultations and four regional conferences.
- Drafting a White Paper on Cultural Policy.
- Launching a media campaign to raise awareness about the relevance, value and benefits of the National Cultural Policy.
- Contributes to the introduction of cultural policies to promote cultural industries in Jamaica - Both the consultative meeting and the working sessions to draft the revised National Cultural Policy are instrumental in ensuring effective policy interventions to develop a competitive and dynamic local cultural industry.
- Foster the active participation and involvement of a broad array of stakeholders across sectors – the project establishes forums for dialogue and cooperation among key local cultural players to enhance better monitoring of cultural policies.
- Promotes information sharing and transparency – information dissemination is central to the revision process through the launch of island-wide surveys and media campaigns, raising public awareness and involving a wider number of stakeholders.