Root Alternative ASBL, a non-governmental organization working for the promotion and implementation of sociocultural programmes focusing on the Congolese hip-hop scene, proposes to structure Kinshasa’s urban cultures by: (1) identifying urban culture stakeholders in Kinshasa and listing existing disciplines, in order to bring together formal groupings; (2) strengthening the capacity of urban culture stakeholders; (3) establishing a coordination platform representing all disciplines of urban cultures; (4) developing a road map for the establishment of a house of urban cultures in Kinshasa (MCUK).
- Identification and classification of the stakeholders and the disciplines of urban cultures.
- Creation of corporations to group stakeholders according to their disciplines.
- Reinforcement of stakeholders’ capacities, in order to support their professionalization and the development of their careers.
- Establishment of a coordination platform (bureau) to act as the official interface for discussion with public authorities on the challenges of the sector.
- Development of the road map for the establishment of the house of urban cultures.
- Strengthens the role of civil society in the development and implementation of cultural policies - The project will help civil society organizations of the culture sector concerned (urban cultures) to structure itself and establish mechanisms for dialogue with public authorities in order to express their needs and bring to the table the necessary ideas to facilitate the development of strategies and policies. The project will also enable the established sub-structures to jointly develop coherent strategies for their respective disciplines.
- Addresses capacity development needs relating to creation, production and distribution - The project will enable the development of a comprehensive catalogue of the stakeholders of urban cultures in Kinshasa and their disciplines in order to provide adequate training and networking.