Project implementation period:
2011 to 2012
About the project:
The project of Design Power Consultants (DEPCONS) aims to organize a Symposium and related events to reinforce and promote the production of a particular type of stone sculpture in the country. These events will enable Kenyan artists to interact and work with international sculptors, with a view of promoting their work abroad and of encouraging the exchange of artistic practices on a national and international scale.
Country of applicant:
Funds allocated (in USD):
Title of the section:
- Organizing a two-day pre-Symposium conference titled ‘‘The Reflections on the State of Creative Industries in Kenya’ in the town of Kisii;
- Preparing and holding the 2011 International Stone Sculpture Symposium;
- Organizing an itinerant sculpture exhibition in ten different towns of Western Kenya; and
- Organizing an event in Nairobi with a view to promoting the project by displaying the produced works of art and inviting the media to broadcast the results of the project.
Design Power Consultants
Year of application:
- Raised awareness among the Kenyan Government and the private sector about the potential of the creative industries.
- Submitted recommendations to the Ministry of Education regarding the strengthening of rural communities’ artistic and creative capacities and the role of art teachers in public service.
- Over 300 specialists from 12 countries participated in an international symposium to promote the stone carving industry.