The project aims to strengthen the enforcement of copyright law in Zimbabwe through the development of a national strategy and the creation of a platform to regularly review the strategy.
ZIMCOPY, Reproduction Rights Organization of Zimbabwe, is a non-profit organization committed to the promotion of the respect for copyright in Zimbabwe.
- Zimbabwe’s challenges and gaps in copyright legislation are identified.
- Recommendations on actions to strengthen the effective protection of copyright are submitted to relevant stakeholders.
- National Strategy on Copyright is developed and adopted.
- Organizing a consultative meeting for representatives of public copyright enforcement authorities, rights holders and reproduction rights organizations to consider and analyse the state of copyright enforcement in Zimbabwe.
- Organizing a workshop for rights holders, leaders of reproduction rights organisations and major users of copyright to determine the actions needed to address copyright infringements and the effective promotion of creators’ rights.
- Organizing a working session to draft the national strategy on copyright, based on the recommendations submitted, as well as a national conference to adopt it.
- Establishing the national platform for the regular review of the strategy in the framework of the national conference.
- Contributes to the introduction of cultural policies to promote cultural industries in Zimbabwe - both the consultative meeting and the working sessions to draft a national strategy, that gather a wide number of stakeholders, are instrumental in ensuring effective policy interventions to develop a competitive and dynamic local cultural industry.
- Encourages dialogue and strengthens the institutional infrastructure in Zimbabwe - by identifying institutional capacity gaps and strengthening policy and decision makers’ capacities, as well as by fostering network-building among key players in the field of copyright.
- Identified the gaps in copyright legislation and listed the challenges to meet for its redesigning.
- Submitted recommendations on actions to strengthen the effective protection of copyright to rights holders and leaders of reproduction rights organizations.
- Developed and adopted a National Strategy on Copyright.