• Establish, as a priority of the Ministry of Culture for 2020, the process of preparing and submitting Cuba's third Quadrennial Periodic Report to the 2005 UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions.
• Socialization among the institutions of the culture system of the new methodology of report submission.
• On 18-19 February 2020, a workshop was carried out to introduce and familiarize participants with the Electronic Form for Periodic Reporting under the 2005 Convention, where it was discussed the content of the convention, its scope and the continuity in its implementation, as well as Cuba's experience in the submission of previous periodic reports and the characteristics of the new form. This workshop was supported by the UNESCO Regional Office for Culture in Latin America and the Caribbean and the Cuban National Commission for UNESCO.
• Creation of the Drafting Team for the report's elaboration.
• Creation of a group of collaborators who systematically provided inputs about the information required in the electronic form.
• Socialization and distribution of the Form for Civil Society Organizations and designation of a contact point for the collection and organization of the information, which was part of the Drafting Team.
• Information was received and consulted with other structures of the Ministry of Culture, such as the National Divisions of Law, Economy, Human Resources, Cadres, Cultural Industries, and Cultural Programs, as well as entities with transversal competence such as the National Copyright Center, the Communication Center (CREART), and the Computer Center for Culture (CUBARTE), and the Center for International Collaboration for Culture.
• During the stage of drafting the report, specific consultations were carried out with certain institutions of the culture system and the follow-up and support of the Cuban National Commission for UNESCO, the UNESCO Regional Office for Culture in Latin America and the Caribbean and the Cuban Permanent Delegation to UNESCO was provided.
• Revisions and corrections of style were made by the Director of the Cuban Book Observatory.
• The Division of International Relations of the Ministry of Culture, where the Focal Point of the 2005 Convention is located, was in charge of coordinating the drafting team, reviewing and processing the information received and preparing the report.
The objectives and scope of the 2005 Convention have their expression in the implementation of the national cultural policy and in design and execution of the Cultural Development Program of the Ministry of Culture. The adoption of a new Constitution of the Republic, the drawing up of State and Government policy documents and the progress achieved in the implementation of the Sustainable Development 2030 Agenda create the appropriate framework for the realization of synergies in the area of culture and confirm the commitment of the Cuban government with the full development of the diversity of cultural expressions.
The Cuban cultural institutional network covers all areas and expressions of artistic creation, including community work, cultural heritage, arts education, as well as cultural and creative industries. This institutional system promotes and protects creative freedom and people’s rights to have access to cultural goods and services, without any distinction whatsoever, emphasizing young audiences and vulnerable groups.
The update of the Cultural Development Program provides the guidelines for the definition, assessment, regulation and control of the overall activity of the Ministry of Culture in the course of the performance of its mandate and its interactions with agencies, legal entities, and individuals. They place arts and literature at the forefront and foster its commitment to service and its ongoing interaction with cultural processes as they evolve and reach out society as a whole for the benefit of human development.
In line with these principles, and in accordance with the purposes of the 2005 UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions, the following work goals and priorities have been defined:
• Encourage the development of artistic and literary creation;
• Improve the Ministry’s work, management and control systems, including its institutional network;
• Maintain and further the dialogue with creators and their relation to the cultural policy of the State and government;
• Increase the participation of the arts avant-garde in cultural institutions’ advisory bodies;
• Promote the active participation of Civil Society Organizations (CSO), like the National Cuban Writers and Artists’ Guild, the Hermanos Saiz Association for Young Writers and Artists, and the National Trade Union of Cultural Workers, among others, in the most important cultural decision-making processes within the institutional system;
• Ensure the successful implementation of the recently approved Cuban film industry policy;
• Enhance the quality of cultural programming, according to the hierarchy of the arts and ensure that creators are involved in its design and implementation;
• Propose an effective scheme for the distribution and sale of books in Cuba;
• Provide differentiated treatment to community cultural work;
• Prioritize age-appropriate programming for the various age groups, emphasizing adolescents and elders;
• Monitor joint action programs and plans with other agencies and institutions;
• Consolidate the communication system of the Ministry by means of a multimedia concept, emphasizing the promotion of priorities, the hierarchy of arts genres and their link to cultural programming;
• Foster effective cultural criticism to educate audiences, get a feedback on creative processes and improve institutional work;
• Equip the Ministry of Culture with its own audiovisual production device to ensure the multimedia communicational approach for the dissemination of contents consistent with the values upheld by the natural culture;
• Expand the international exposure of Cuban cultural genres and expressions;
• Develop the capacities of Cultural and Creative Industries as support of artistic creation and a source of employment and income, while ensuring the implementation of the cultural policy, in order to enhance local resources and take advantage of opportunities in international markets and import substitution in the domestic market;
• Streamline cultural training, upgrade and research;
• Implement and assess arts education curricula and syllable;
• Increase the use of ITs in cultural sector processes, emphasizing services for the population, the production of IT applications and the interaction among several audiences, including e-trade and e-government;
• Strengthening work with CSOs linked to the cultural sector.
Measures adopted during the period promote the creation of jobs, and artistic mobility, strengthen the dialogue of artists, writers and creators with institutions, ensure the protection and promotion of the diversity of cultural expressions, enhance artistic education, reinforce cultural community work as a driver of local integrated development, encourage arts appreciation processes among the population, provide labor guarantees for creators, systematize dialogue opportunities with CSOs linked to the cultural sector, foster the development of more effective cultural management mechanisms through the use of ICTs. Some of the period highlights are the drafting of a policy document that will streamline the system of copyright and other similar rights and the approval of the National Program against Racism and Racial Discrimination, as cross-cutting issues in the implementation of Cuban cultural policy.
The Division of International Relations
The Division of Cultural Industries
The Center for International Cultural Collaboration
The Center for Development and Communication of Culture
The Computer Center for Culture
Civil Society Organization (CSO)
The Ludwig Foundation of Cuba
Civil Society Organization (CSO)
The New Latin American Cinema Foundation
Civil Society Organization (CSO)
The Caguayo Foundation
Civil Society Organization (CSO)
The Antonio Núñez Jiménez Foundation of Nature and Humanity
Civil Society Organization (CSO)
The Ariguanabo Foundation
Civil Society Organization (CSO)
The Hermanos Saíz Association
Civil Society Organization (CSO)
The National Association of Writers and Artists of Cuba
Goal 1 - Support Sustainable Systems of Governance for Culture
Cultural and Creative Sectors
Stimulate the development of artistic and literary creation.
Continue strengthening the spaces and mechanisms created to stimulate artistic and literary creation. Encourage the promotion and dissemination of its characteristics in order to expand its framework for action. Achieving greater coordination among the institutions of the culture system, CSOs and other entities in the country, in order to comply with the principles of the cultural policy and the priorities of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Cuba.
Enhance the cultural programming with the participation of all the social actors involved
Consolidate the studies of audiences and improve the monitoring mechanisms of actions carried out with a view to increasing the evaluation of impact and feedback. Insufficient financial and technological resources that prevent the achievement of higher levels of quality and scope of the offerings in the programming. Strengthen programming aimed specifically at adolescents and older adults. Apply and evaluate the methodology in the process of implementation that proposes, among other aspects, a greater participation of promoters and managers of socio-cultural projects.
Enhance the processes of training and improvement in culture
Impossibility to access most internationally recognized specialized computer programs for teaching and artistic creation, due to the measures imposed on Cuba by the US economic, financial and commercial blockade.
Consolidate relations with other universities of the arts in the world through the Network of Universities of the Arts (RUA), with the objective of systematizing the updating of teaching processes and programs, the training of staff and the development of skills in students.
Continue to improve the processes of recruitment and income at different levels of education.
Continue incorporating active artists who are references for the training of students.
Cultural Work Program with Children, Adolescents and Young People
Strengthen working relationships with other government structures and institutions. Diversify the content of projects and their territorial scope. Enhancing the work with the repertoire in the field of music, aimed at rescuing and strengthening our traditional popular culture.
Economic resource limitations persist, especially for vulnerable sectors such as visually impaired children, adolescents and youths who have difficulty accessing specialized media due to the restrictions imposed by the United States blockade on Cuba.
The National Reading Program
The evaluation mechanisms of the thematic work pillars are periodically reviewed:
* Evaluation and follow-up of the Program's specific and more systematic strategies (PNPL) that can take, as indicators in the libraries, the increase in the number of contestants per year, increase in loans, collection of unsatisfied demands and bibliographic consultations, extensions of the library in schools, the hospital centers and others.
* Daily monitoring of online digital publications show a noteworthy increase in the number of visits on the website www.cubaliteraria.cu in the last few months (421,190 visits), where there are 150 books for free download, and the most downloaded is Postales de Jose Marti with 1,939, while the rest surpasses 100 downloads.
* The desiderata of the country's public library system are shared with related institutions, as a way to allow publishers, the Observatory and others to issue recommendations, policies and work strategies.
Consolidate the communication system of the Ministry of Culture
There is a sustained growth in the indicators proposed by the development program of the Ministry of Culture in the communication dimension, and which is expressed in the annual communication strategy of the entity, in order to combine internal and external synergies with users and disseminators of cultural content. The system of cultural institutions, from its fields, actively intervenes in the design and execution of this strategy, as well as in the elaboration of the messages and audiovisual materials that are disseminated. This strategy promotes, among its priorities, the protection and promotion of national and local identity values, taking into account community socio-cultural expressions. It also contributes to the international promotion of Cuban culture.
Implementation of the system of cultural institutions of Decree-Law No. 370 on the Computerization of Society in Cuba in 2018
The largest production of digital books in the country is concentrated in the publishing houses that support the bibliography for the education system: The Editorial Pueblo y Educacion and the Editorial Felix Varela.
The company Caricatos, which belongs to the National Council for the Performing Arts (CNAE), produces audiovisuals every year and has already accumulated around 250 materials, including documentaries and the documentary series, "Mas alla de la escena", "Telon abierto" and "Escena abierta", with the aim of preserving and promoting stage activity from the digitalization of the creation processes, based on the appropriation of new spaces for dissemination and research.
Likewise, the CNAE has worked on the implementation of an electronic system for theatrical ticket sales through an interactive website that can be accessed from abroad and within the country. At present, it is available for the shows that take place in the Cuban National Theater and work is underway to extend this service to the national theater network.
The Cuban Fund for Cultural Assets (FCBC), one of the main trading companies of the works of artistic creation, has proposed to increase by 10% the levels of computerization of the points of sale (Payment Gateway), through which its marketing is promoted. For this purpose, equipment was acquired that has allowed us to support this measurement criterion. The levels of increase were evidenced mainly in those areas where there is an important tourism index, in which the payment gateway charges represent an effective modality to enter international currencies, mainly in the northern keys, in some fundamental airports and those commercial spaces with great influx of foreigners.
In the music manifestation, progress has been made in the development of the streaming modality, through the D'Ritmo app, agreed by the Empresa de Grabaciones y Ediciones Musicales (EGREM) with the Cuban Telecommunications Company ETECSA, which allows listening and downloading the Cuban music catalogs of the record companies Bis Music, Abdala, Colibri and EGREM itself. An all-round digital platform for the promotion and marketing of music is being developed, which will allow diversifying the services, such as the marketing of scores and the sales of tickets to the Casas de la Musica and Cultural Centers.
Information and Communication Technologies have been incorporated into the artistic training programs, in particular at the University of the Arts and its Media Arts Faculty, the Visual Arts Faculty, and in the scenographic design profile of the Theater Arts Faculty.
The development and creation of video games has been strengthened, based on an alliance between ICAIC's Animation Studies and the University of Computer Science (UCI), as a new range of production that covers everything from educational video games to those exclusively dedicated to leisure and entertainment.
A follow-up line was incorporated to the production of digital works known as transmedia, within the industry section in the last two editions of the International Festival of New Latin American Cinema, including spaces for the exchange of knowledge about these productions.
The registration of audiovisual projects in the Cuban Film Promotion Fund for independent production was done entirely through digital media.
The Ministry of Culture has generated statistics on access to the La Papeleta, an online digital app whose objective is the dissemination and promotion of cultural programming and the Todo de Arte multimedia repository, an online digital concentrator of national artistic content divided into sectors and manifestations, which are provided on a nationwide scale for the process of implementing Decree-Law No. 370.
The economic, commercial and financial blockade greatly limits the acquisition of updated and recently produced technological means. It also makes difficult to access specialized world-leading software and the most widely used communication platforms. It penalizes bank transfers using US dollars and its extraterritorial nature restricts the management of companies from third countries and Cuban entities by means of excessive fines.
Under these conditions, the process of computerization of Cuban society, specifically in the cultural field, has developed at a slow pace giving priority to the strategic planning of resources and little margin of error. The results achieved still do not satisfy the needs of the sector, however, significant progress has been made towards the achievement of the proposed objectives.
Creation and implementation of the Blogosphere hosted in the CUBARTE Portal
The Blogosphere has become one of the main means of communication of Cuban culture. It makes possible the publicity of experts', artists' and creators' criteria in relation to the processes of creation and development of cultural expressions. It is a platform that contributes to dismantling the tendencies of banalization, tempered to the market, that erode the identity of the people and pursue the hegemonic globalization of its contents.
Partnering with Civil Society
Consolidate the relationship mechanisms between the institutions of the cultural system and the Hermanos Saíz Association with the objective of stimulating artistic and literary creation through a System of Scholarships and Awards
Based on the debates of the 3rd Congress of the Hermanos Saiz Association, the application of this measure defined as priorities the strengthening of rigor in creation, the documentation of new creative practices, the revival of criticism and research, and a change in the dynamics of training in teaching.
Similarly, it is necessary to reinforce the work in the updating of promotion strategies, in the support of some cultural entities, in the issuing of legal norms and the optimization of management mechanisms.
Encourage dialogue about cultural processes among artists, intellectuals, and institutions of the cultural system.
The processes of dialogue between artists, intellectuals and cultural professionals, grouped in CSOs such as UNEAC, and the institutions of the cultural system and the Ministry of Culture, on the development of the arts and culture in the country, are key elements and priorities in Cuba. These exchanges define conceptually and programmatically the
management of cultural processes, the management of material and financial resources in the sector, and the role of culture in the development of society, taking into account its cross-cutting nature in other socioeconomic and political aspects.
The active presence of the country's main leaders in the working sessions of these processes, as occurred in the 9th UNEAC Congress and the participation of Miguel Diaz- Canel, President of the Republic of Cuba, is an expression of the political will of the Cuban State and Government and of the importance given to cultural processes in the country.
Goal 2 - Achieve a Balanced Flow of Cultural Goods and Services and Increase the Mobility of Artists and Cultural Professionals
Mobility of Artists and Cultural Professionals
Strengthen the international projection of Cuban culture in all its manifestations and expressions
* Consolidate the proactive work of the institutions of the system of culture and the Ministry of Culture, according to the objectives and priorities defined for international work.
* Continue supporting the mobility of Cuban artists and creators abroad, based on the optimization of the defined management mechanisms.
* Take advantage of international funding sources, mainly those resulting from the governance mechanisms of recognized multilateral organizations, dedicated to promoting the mobility of artists, with the aim of expanding the relationship capacity of our creators.
Flow of Cultural Goods and Services
The Program for the Development of Cultural and Creative Industries (ICC) in Cuba
* To consider, in the assurances to the Tourism, the ICC as one of the main sources for the development of the extra-hotel activity, from the design, promotion and the commercialization of tourist packages that include the ample cultural programming, the events associated with this industry, the network of museums and other cultural services. To eliminate the treatment of third parties that is offered today to the companies of the MINCULT that contribute to exports and provide services to tourism.
* To evaluate the opportunities offered by the main events associated with the CCIs to consolidate the processes of origin denomination of Cuban exportable products.
* To establish among the priorities of the provincial and municipal governments, in conjunction with the relevant agencies and entities, the attention to the development of the extra-hotel activity from the design, promotion and the marketing of packages that include the cultural services of each territory and locality.
* To improve the communication strategy of tourism for the promotion of Cuba's destination, regarding the CCIs, taking advantage of the opportunities offered by the network of museums, stores, cultural centers and the World Heritage Sites that the country has, in order to develop national routes and circuits and multi-destination tourism.
* To design and establish alliances and integral projects for the export of services based on the linkage of CCIs with medical, educational, sports, telecommunications and software industries.
* To specify the existing opportunities to establish alliances and integral projects for the export of services with the incorporation of foreign capital on the basis of approved sector policies and the linking of CCIs.
* To propose projects that link the CCIs with local industries, national industry and the sports industry.
Treaties and agreements
To encourage the signing of ministerial and inter-institutional agreements
* To develop executive programs that outline action plans with a certain margin of temporality that allow and ensure the execution of the interests and commitments set forth in the treaties and agreements.
Goal 3 - Integrate Culture in Sustainable Development Frameworks
National Sustainable Development Policies & Plans
To incorporate the sustainable development approach in the elaboration and implementation of the Cultural Development Program until 2030
* Work together with the system of cultural institutions and CSOs in order to follow up on the implementation of the objectives and priorities set out in the Cultural Development Program until 2030 in accordance with the corporate purpose and mission of each entity;
* Generate and strengthen mechanisms for working with other Central State Administration Bodies that encourage synergies and modalities of production linkage in all possible areas.
International Cooperation for Sustainable Development
Strengthen the activity of international cooperation for development as a complementary tool for the implementation of the cultural policy.
In this stage, the expansion of cooperative relations with important actors in international cooperation has been significant , including the European Union (EU), the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS) and the Korean Cooperation Agency (KOIKA), and relations have been consolidated with others, such as the British Council; the organization Music Fund For Cuba (MFFC) from the United Kingdom, as well as with European civil society organizations, including the Cultural Association (ARCI), the Cospe Onlus NGO, the CISP NGO from Italy, the Piti Fajardo Association, and the Jose Marti Valencian Association of Friendship with Cuba from Spain, among others. These working bonds are based on respect, exchange of knowledge and mutual commitment.
The activity of international cooperation has become an important element to cultural management in Cuba. It has contributed significantly to the development of capacities of workers in the sector and of cultural units of community work, as well as to the acquisition of materials and means that support the implementation of the cultural policy and encourage the sustainability of training and capacity building processes.
Goal 4 - Promote Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
Art Education (Elementary and Middle Level)
The policy of promoting culture for gender equality
Continue promoting and disseminating the work of Cuban women artists in the different artistic manifestations, which are purposefully channeled, from the intersectionality, with a view to changing different inequalities that cause, in the world, gender violence and other violence, sexism, androcentric cultural patterns, public and private discriminations, among so many other manifestations of disparity that stop the respect to fundamental and full rights reached by the Cuban social project.
The capital built from resilience and conceived in their works reflects the concreteness in the actions carried out day by day in society to bring closer the opportunities, possibilities and equality in results, between women and men in the Cuban society. The contribution of Cuban artists and intellectuals in revealing the entanglements with claims, vindications and demands, between women and men, expresses the commitment and responsibility of creating a public art with social transcendence that contributes to social agendas and to the nation's project.
The policy for the promotion of the national film and audiovisual creation
In the evaluation process carried out, a review of the approved categories is recommended and, with it, the regulatory form adopted. As this is a completely new policy, both for the audiovisual and cultural sectors in general, it requires a review and analysis process in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the regulations set out.
Finally, work must continue to improve the dissemination of some aspects of this policy that have not yet reached their full potential.
Measures and Initiatives reported by Civil Society Organizations
To promote and strengthen the environmental dimension in cultural processes together with the entities of the culture system
To participate in the decision-making processes in the audiovisual field that take place in the country
Contribute to the development of applied and monumental arts in conjunction with other institutions in the country.
To promote processes of cultural improvement and participation
To contribute to the development of artistic and literary creation through a System of Scholarships and Awards.
To encourage dialogues about cultural processes, between artists and intellectuals, and institutions of the cultural system.
To expand and extend the options for cultural goods and services provided by the spaces and programs of the Antonio Núñez Jiménez Foundation.
To promote the participation of national creators and artists in related cultural events at both the national and international levels.
To promote the participation of members from all over the country in related socio-cultural events at both the national and international levels.
Develop professional and technical collaboration programs with artists in Cuba or abroad
To promote the presence of the Association’s members in exhibition and marketing spaces at an international level.
To contribute to the participation of film professionals in relevant international events
Encourage actions to promote and disseminate the artistic and literary creation of the organization's members, both at home and abroad
To favor spaces of exchange and participation from the foundation, stimulating processes of sustainable development at a local level.
To contribute to the rescue of techniques and trades related to the national culture through training processes based on research and experimentation.
To promote spaces of exchange that favor undertakings related to cultural, artistic, and literary expressions
Preserve, promote, update and develop the craft techniques.
To contribute to the development, strengthening and dissemination of cultural, popular and community manifestations.
Develop actions at the national and regional levels aimed at raising awareness, access and enjoyment of audiovisual content by different sectors of society, with emphasis on people with sensory disabilities.
Develop projects and actions aimed at supporting a policy of inclusion in the performance of monumental arts applied at the national level.
Support programs and initiatives aimed at preserving social dynamics, local identity values and those of certain social groups.
Defend the freedom of intellectual and artistic creation.
Emerging Transversal Issues
Updating the “La Papeleta” app for mobile devices
This is an ongoing system and we are working on improving its availability, updating and scope.
This application favorably contributes to the development of the cultural program, its impact has received favorable responses from Cuban artists and creators, and to a certain degree it promotes the formation of audiences.
Modernizing the communications hub for the CUBARTE network
Creation of the hub is a fundamental support for making use of the capacities of Internet communication, on behalf of the visibility of Cuban culture on national and international levels.
It is a challenge for Cuba to attain the scope and quality of connectivity due to the economic conditions being imposed by coercive measures unilaterally imposed by the United States of America.
Dynamic digital indicators
It permits all population sectors to have access to up to date cultural information, creating spaces for the promotion and circulation of the work of institutions and the creative initiatives of the artistic sector and for their main achievements and outcomes. A presence on the network of the different thematic directions and of the activities being undertaken by cultural institutions and the Civil Society Organizations.
Development and implementation of the National Program against Racism and Racial Discrimination
Challenges and Achievements