The report has been made using primarily data collected within the Ministry of Culture, different departments and by the available information collected from the Civil Society Organisations at national and local level, as well by individuals working in cultural sector.
- The goal of Montenegrin cultural policy is to develop and promote contemporary cultural and artistic creation, cultural activities and cultural life in general, valorization of cultural heritage, to contribute to intercultural dialogue and preserve the characteristics of different cultural identities, to help affirmation of Montenegro's identity as a state and cultural bounds with other countries.
- Montenegro has completed the implementation of National Program for the Development of Culture 2016-2020 during the reporting period and is preparing a new medium-term Program 2020-2024, with strategic determinations and basic measures which will be conducted primarily by Ministry of Culture and partners, during further development and affirmation of cultural identities and diversities.
- Ministry of Culture has developed a Program called 'Creative Montenegro: Identity, image, promotion' (2017/2020), that represents a platform for various activities with the goal of affirmation of Montenegrin identity. The program is conceived as an inter sector platform of the Government of Montenegro whose goals are: presentation of the multicultural context of Montenegro, creating a branding strategy of the State, communication with domestic and international public, development of support lines for the creative sector, support for scientific research and artistic projects in the field of cultural studies, cultural history, cultural geography and art productions, innovative and modern presentation of Montenegrin cultural heritage, cultural exchange and dissemination of projects created within the framework, programs at the international level, strengthening the creative industries sector in Montenegro, through inter sector cooperation and policy of the Government of Montenegro, and proactive participation and public involvement.
- Since 2018 Directorate for Projects of Capital Significance for Culture and Promotion and Development of Creative Industries was established within the Ministry of Culture. Starting from the National Program for the Development of Culture 2016-2020, as an official document the Ministry of Culture of Montenegro recognizes the areas of creative industry based on detailed analyzes of the international mapping experiences of Creative Industries and further consultation in structures with Institute for Entrepreneurship and Economic Development. The support for artists and creators comes through annual calls for project financing and support.
- Program for for co-financing projects / programs of NGOs in the fields of art and culture was established in 2018. Target groups are: non-governmental organizations in the field of arts and culture, professional associations, audiences and consumers of cultural content, local communities from less developed municipalities, youth, women, socially sensitive groups (people with disabilities, LGBT, etc.), minority communities. The identified needs of the target groups are: capacity building, visibility, networking and partnership in the implementation of cultural policy, as well as the diversity and accessibility of cultural content and equal representation throughout Montenegro.
Ministry of Culture
Goal 1 - Support Sustainable Systems of Governance for Culture
Cultural and Creative Sectors
Public financial assistance measure - Public call for co-financing of cultural and artistic creativity
They vary each year, depending on the designated budget for culture
Amendments to the Law on National Public Broadcaster Radio and Television of Montenegro
Partnering with Civil Society
Law on Amendments to the Law on Non-Governmental Organizations
Goal 2 - Achieve a Balanced Flow of Cultural Goods and Services and Increase the Mobility of Artists and Cultural Professionals
Mobility of Artists and Cultural Professionals
Mobility Agreement - Erasmus +
Flow of Cultural Goods and Services
Program for the Protection and Preservation of Cultural Heritage of Montenegro/ financial assistance measure
They vary each year, depending on funds allocated for Ministry of Culture
Treaties and agreements
Agreement on cooperation in the program 'Creative Montenegro - economic valorization and creative industries'
Goal 3 - Integrate Culture in Sustainable Development Frameworks
National Sustainable Development Policies & Plans
National Program for Cultural Development 2016-2020
International Cooperation for Sustainable Development
Goal 4 - Promote Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
Achieving gender equality in the field of culture and media in the framework of the Action Plan for Achieving Gender Equality 2017-2021 – APAGE (PAPRR)
Measures and Initiatives reported by Civil Society Organizations
Emerging Transversal Issues
Challenges and Achievements