Between 2019 and 2020, more than 5,400 cultural events were held in Kharkiv, with a total audience of more than 520,000 people. The city also offers a large number of cultural facilities with its 36 libraries, 24 museums, 17 arts galleries and 14 theatres. Known throughout the world for its excellent musical education, Kharkiv possesses a rich musical and cultural heritage, embodied by the many renowned composers, musicians, and vocalists who graduated from the city’s educational institutions. The musical sphere is the foundation of Kharkiv's cultural development. Indeed, music permeates all the key events of the city. A large number of music festivals held in the city’s parks bring together residents and visitors alike. In recent years, international music and youth festivals have also been held to further involving different stakeholders and the general public in the city’s cultural offer.
As a Creative City of Music, the following steps will be important:
- Developing joint projects with other member cities of the Network so as to strengthen international cooperation between cities that have recognized culture and creativity as strategic drivers of development;
- Increasing the number of creative events and hubs in the city, as well as educational programmes and courses for both representatives of the creative industries and the international community;
- Facilitating access to cultural and creative events for all residents;
- Integrating further culture and creativity into urban programmes and activities while strengthening the role of the creative sector in the City Development Strategy; and
- Developing the city’s cultural heritage and fostering the creativity of its inhabitants.