International Jazz Day
As the great Nina Simone said, "Jazz is not just music, it is a way of life, it is a way of being, a way of thinking". The story of Jazz is written into the quest for human dignity, democracy and civil rights. It has given strength to the struggle against discrimination and racism. UNESCO believes in the power of Jazz as a force for peace, dialogue and mutual understanding and this is why in November 2011, the UNESCO General Conference proclaimed 30 April as "International Jazz Day".
This Day is intended to raise awareness of the virtues of jazz as an educational tool, and a force for empathy, dialogue and enhanced cooperation among people. Many governments, civil society organizations, educational institutions, and private citizens currently engaged in the promotion of jazz music will embrace the opportunity to foster greater appreciation not only for the music but also for the contribution it can make to building more inclusive societies.
- Jazz breaks down barriers and creates opportunities for mutual understanding and tolerance;
- Jazz is a vector of freedom of expression;
- Jazz reduces tensions between individuals, groups, and communities;
- Jazz encourages artistic innovation, improvisation, new forms of expression, and inclusion of traditional music forms into new ones;
- Jazz stimulates intercultural dialogue and empowers young people from marginalized societies.
International Jazz Day Thursday 30 April 2020 live stream schedule
Schedule of Free Masterclasses, Children’s Activities and Panel Discussions:
|French||Children’s activity||Dee Dee Bridgewater||16:00|
|English||Children’s activity||Oran Etkin||16:30|
|English||Panel||Nate Chinen, Sibongile Khumalo, Marcus Miller||17:30|
|Global Concert featuring Herbie Hancock and artists from across the globe||19:00|
MESSAGE FROM THE DIRECTOR-GENERAL
"In the peculiar circumstances of this International Jazz Day, as the world faces the COVID-19 pandemic, music is bringing people together and helping to keep hope alive. "
— Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO on the occasion of the International Jazz Day
Download the complete message in PDF format
English | Français | Español | Русский | العربية | 中文
WHAT UNESCO DOES FOR JAZZ
Messages for International Jazz Day 2020
CELEBRATIONS OF THE DAY IN 2020
- UNESCO decision
- Website of the Jazz Day
- All Commemorations
- Previous commemorations : 2019 -2018 - 2017 - 2016 - 2015 - 2014