Accommodation in Paris

As in many capital cities around the world, finding good quality, reasonably priced  accommodation in Paris will not always be easy. Finding a suitable apartment will often require considerable time and energy.

Estate agents are a common source of properties to rent, although their fees are usually equivalent to one month's rent. Most agents will have Internet sites, but you are advised to visit the agent for the purposes  of viewing properties in order to minimize the risk of fraud.

Private advertisements can put you in direct contact with landlords and thus avoid having to pay a commission.

Announces and agencies:

Relocation agencies

The below mentioned relocation agencies were selected by UNESCO as their services correspond to common relocation requirements of internationally recruited staff members.  


Once you have found a suitable place, you will need to provide a number of documents : your last three pay-slips, a photocopy of your identity papers and a certificate from your employer.

Some landlords will require proof of income of at least three times the monthly rent (including charges). When assessing your rent level, remember that utility charges might be high, especially the cost of heating.

Leases for unfurnished apartments are generally for three years, but may be renewable. Three months' notice must be sent to the landlord if you wish to leave the apartment before the end of the lease, or one month's notice in case of transfer. A formal état des lieux (inventory of fixtures - walls, floors, furniture, etc.) is drawn up between the landlord and the leasee , when taking possession and when vacating the premises. It has to be done very carefully. In the case of furnished apartments, for which leases generally run for one year, you also need to draw up an inventory of furnishings.

Dépôt de garantie (security deposit)

A landlord is entitled to a dépôt de garantie (security deposit), which will not normally exceed one month net rent (without charges). The tenant is entitled to a refund of the deposit no later than two months after returning the keys.

Housing insurance (assurance d’habitation)

The tenant is required to have housing insurance (assurance d’habitation), including tenant's civil liability (responsabilité civile locative), and may need to renew the maintenance contracts (hot water heater, boiler).

The person occupying the premises on 1 January is required to pay the taxe d'habitation (residence tax) to the local authorities, even if they are only renting the property. 

The rental contract can be cancelled by the landlord or the tenant with three months' notice, by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt (lettre recommandée avec accusé de réception).

If you have any problems concerning electricity, gas or plumbing, contact the landlord or the concierge(“guardien”) of the building.