UNESCO Multisectoral Regional Office in Abuja works across five programme sectors: Education, Natural Sciences, Culture, Communication & Information and Social and Human Sciences. The Office covers 8 countries, namely Benin Republic, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
In 2015, UNESCO Abuja facilitated debates on the EFA national and regional reviews and the education-related Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4 “Education 2030”. Being the last target year for both Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Education for All (EFA) goals, programme activities were focused at accentuating the implementation of MDGs and EFA goals.
Essentially, all the activities were forward-looking, as they also drew inspiration from UNESCO’s Medium- Term Strategy for 2014-2021 (37 C/4), which sets out the strategic vision and programmatic framework for UNESCO’s action in education, sciences, culture, communication and information at the global, regional and country levels.
Its Strategic Priority Objectives for the period include:
1. Supporting Member States to develop education systems to foster high-quality and inclusive lifelong learning for all
2. Empowering learners to be creative and responsible global citizens
3. Advancing Education for All (EFA) and shaping the future international education agenda
4. Strengthening science, technology and innovation systems and policies – nationally, regionally and globally
5. Promoting international scientific cooperation on critical challenges to sustainable development