Type of contract: Temporary - Special Service Agreement; Organizational Unit: UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe ; Primary location: Venice, Italy; Expected dated for entry on duty: 24 November 2014; Monthly Salary: 1,720 US Dollar payable in Euro; Duration: 6 months; Application deadline (midnight, Venice time): 9 November 2014
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The UNESCO Venice Office is looking for a qualified candidate to fill in the temporary post of Team Assistant within the framework of its intersectoral activities for EXPO2015 in Venice.
Tasks and assignments
Under the direct supervision of the relevant Programme Officer, in close cooperation with the Web Editor and under the overall authority of the Director of Office, the incumbent shall assist to:
- Maintain web contents, drafting and translating articles, human interest stories and other advocacy/information materials;
- Proof-read a variety of official papers, programmes, conclusions, announcements, speeches, reports and documentations;
- Coordinate and follow up on the development of communication efforts to present UNESCO designations in EXPO2015 (films, videos, audio-visuals, etc.) and oversee the qualitative aspects of production (quality control, content, visual identity, graphic design and printing);
- Develop social networking (Facebook; twitter and other similar community sites), both for the office and EXPO2015 in Venice activities;
- Prepare social media campaigns and day-to-day activities (pictures and texts);
- Monitor media and community outreach efforts and their effectiveness;
- Correspond with the project partners;
- Perform any other related tasks assigned by the Supervisor.
Speak & listen and read & write clearly, concisely and effectively; correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately; ask for clarifications when necessary ensure two-way communication; tailor language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrate openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Collaborate with colleagues efficiently to achieve organizational goals; solicit input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; be willing to learn from others; place team agenda before personal agenda; support and act in accordance with the final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; share credit for team accomplishments and accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings; work under stress.
Secondary education certificate or equivalent required.
Educational background in journalism, communication, English or a comparable discipline would be an advantage.
Practical experience & knowledge
Experience in the support of communications and outreach activities within UNESCO and preferably with UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe (Venice, Italy) is highly desirable.
Good knowledge of the Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office is a prerequisite. Knowledge of graphic tools will be an asset
Proficiency and excellent communication skills in English and Italian are essential.
Conditions of employment
The duration of this appointment is for 6 months, including a probationary period of 1 month. Work 4 days per week.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit their applications and CV electronically, using UNESCO CV, to m.rosati(at)unesco.org and p.pypaert(at)unesco.org with copy to: t.carpene(at)unesco.org and l.santato(at)unesco.org, latest by COB 9 November 2014. All applications shall be accompanied by a Letter of Motivation not exceeding 2 pages.
This post is for local recruitment only. All expenses (travel, interview, etc.) related to this appointment are to be borne by the applicant.
UNESCO is a Smoke Free environment. UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.