In advance of COP21, the Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI) organized a conference “From Rio to Paris: Higher Education for Climate Change Action” on October 14 in Paris. This international event brought together HESI sponsors and signatories, as a follow-up to the United Nations Summit and in preparation for COP 21.
The main aims of this International conference was to:
- Welcome new institutions to HESI
- Take stock of progress made since Rio+20 by sharing best practices and lessons learned
- Discuss the roles and responsibilities of higher education institutions in business and technological innovations around climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Encourage new or enhanced commitments by HESI members, particularly around the facilitation of academic and scientific inputs into the formulation of climate policies and enhancing the science-policy interface.
- Compose and a set of messages and policy recommendations on higher education for sustainable development to be presented to the UNFCCC Secretariat at COP21
In preparing for the event, UN-DESA prepared a Progress report on the impact of Higher Education institutions in advancing sustainable development and climate change.