The 3rd General Assembly of the African Network of Biosphere Reserves (AfriMAB) took place in Accra, Ghana, from 24–27 September 2013. Organized by Secretariat of the Man and Biosphere (MAB) Programme, UNESCO Accra Office and the Ghanaian MAB national committee in close collaboration with the Ghana National Commission for UNESCO, the Assembly was the 6th AfriMAB meeting since its creation in 1996. It was attended by 116 participants from 21 countries from sub-Saharan Africa, Germany, the Republic of Korea, the Sub-Global Assessment Network, UNESCO and the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU).
As per the Charter and Statutes of AfriMAB, the new Bureau was elected on 24 September 2013. It comprises the following members:
- Chairman: M. Daniel Amlalo, Executive Director of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Chairman of Ghanaian MAB National Committee, Ghana.
- Coordinator for Central Africa: Cameroon (Mr Hessana Djibrilla)
- Coordinator for East Africa: Kenya (Mr Paul Makenzi)
- Coordinator for Southern Africa: South Africa (Ms Skumsa Mancotywa)
- Coordinator for West Africa: Côte d’Ivoire (Ms Martine Gauze Nee Touao Kah).
The Bureau will be in office until the next General Assembly scheduled in 2015.