“Delivering on the Global Education Promise”
Wednesday 25 September 2013, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, ECOSOC Chamber, United Nations Headquarters, New York
The UN Secretary-General launched the Global Education First Initiative (GEFI) in September 2012. The historic Initiative has spurred a global movement to put education right at the heart of the social, political and development agenda.
One year on, GEFI celebrates its collective achievements with an anniversary event. The event will focus on coordinating the leadership and finance necessary to achieve a break-through in education.
UNESCO has played a lead role in shaping GEFI since the outset, with Director-General Irina Bokova hosting the Secretariat and serving as Executive Secretary of the High-Level Steering Committee.
- PART I: High-level Leadership Panel
This high-level panel comprised of Heads of State, youth, artists and the private sector will focus on the need for renewed leadership and partnership to achieve quality, relevant and transformative education.
- PART II: High-level Roundtable on Learning for All: Coordinating the Financing and Delivery of Education
A substantive discussion on specific actions for better coordination among governments, multilateral and bilateral assistance, and private sector to accelerate delivery of basic education.
- Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General
- Jim Yong Kim, World Bank Group President
- Gordon Brown, UN Special Envoy for Global Education
- Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO
- Heads of State from GEFI Champion Countries
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu
- Malala Yousafzai, Education Activist
- Lang Lang, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
- Aliko Dangote, President of Dangote Group