International conference on Technical and Vocational Education and Training. Skills on the move: global trends, local resonances
Co-organized by UNESCO, the Government of the People’s Republic of China and the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), ‘Skills on the move: global trends, local resonances’ is an international follow-up conference to the Third International Congress on Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET), which took place in Shanghai in 2012 resulting in the Shanghai Consensus. The Shanghai Consensus presented a global vision for transforming and revitalizing TVET systems in order to realize its full potential as a contributor to employment and sustainable development.
Since then, TVET has been gathering global momentum and the Education 2030 Agenda has devoted significant attention to TVET development and its potential for helping youth and adults develop the skills they need for employment, decent work and entrepreneurship, and for addressing multiple demands of economic, social and environmental nature.
This conference will review how TVET has developed and changed since 2012 and point to the main challenges, trends and opportunities facing the sector today, all in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and current trends in the labour markets. The progress review will take stock of the direction in which the development of TVET systems is heading, to further enhance and align TVET’s contribution to the SDG4 on education and to sustainable development more broadly.
The conference will focus on global trends and UNESCO’s Strategy for TVET within the following subjects:
- Youth employment and entrepreneurship;
- The role of skills in combatting inequity and gender inequality;
- Skills-needs in increasingly digitized and green economies and societies;
- Anticipation of skills demands and addressing mismatch between supply and demand;
- Learner and worker mobility and the role of skills and qualifications recognition;
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of TVET strategies and programmes.
- Third International Congress on Technical and Vocational Education and Training: Shanghai Consensus (2012)
- Recommendation concerning Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) (2015)
- Strategy for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) (2016 – 2021)
- Education 2030: Incheon Declaration and Framework for Action (2015)