"World Trends in Freedom of Expression and Media Development" offers a new look at recent evolutions in media freedom, independence, pluralism and journalist safety. The overarching trend observed throughout is one of disruption brought on by technology and to a lesser extent the global economic crisis, with mixed results for freedom of expression and media development. The publication comes at a critical moment for press freedom amid unprecedented opportunities for expression of new voices as well as new forms of restriction, surveillance and control.
- Irina Bokova, UNESCO Director-General
- H.E. Mr Mårten Grunditz, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Sweden to the United Nations
- Lee C. Bollinger, President Columbia University
- Moderated by Joel Simon, Executive Director, Committee to Protect Journalists
- Karin Karlekar, Project director of Freedom of the Press, Freedom House
- Veni Markovski, Vice President, Global Stakeholder Engagement, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- Raza Rumi, Writer and public policy specialist, Pakistan
The event will be streamed live at http://webtv.un.org/ and tweeted with the hashtags #mediatrends and #pressfreedom.