Third Policy Board and Management Committee meeting on Information and Communication Technologies and Disabilities
UNESCO together with UNICEF will organize a Third Policy Board and Management Committee meeting on ICTs and Disabilities in Kampala, Uganda, on 8 September 2015. This meeting aims to strengthen the policy environment and build institutional capacities through Inclusive Technology to ensure Inclusive Education and Access to Information in Uganda.
The agenda will include the following:
- presentation and discussion of the results of the audit on the policy requirements on Inclusive Information and Communication Technologies in Education for Uganda -by Uganda Technology & Management University;
- presentation of the Guidelines on producing accessible information and communication and accessible ICTs procurement policy -by Centre for Internet and Society;
- presentation of the production on Information and educational material in accessible formats for persons with visual and hearing impairments -by UNICEF;
- presentation of evaluation and monitoring instrument developed to track progress towards implementation of policies on Assistive Technology to ensure Inclusive Education and Access to Information -by United Nations University;
- discussion on the 6th Africa Forum: “Beyond 2015: Delivering on The Agenda for Persons with Visual Impairments in Africa” scheduled for 4 to 8 October 2015 -by Perkins; and,
- a presentation on workshop titled: Know-UNPRPD Programme for UNPRPD Round 1 projects held in Dublin from 20-24 April 2015 -by UNICEF.
This meeting will attract the participation of Ministry of Information and Communication Technologies of Uganda, Ministry of Education and Sports, Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development, National Information Technology Authority, National Curriculum Development Centre, Uganda Printing and Publish Corporation, Uganda Printing and Publish Corporation, Deaf Link Uganda, Uganda National Association for the Blind, National Union of Disabled Persons of Uganda, Uganda Society for Disabled Children, Kyambogo University, Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Uganda Technology & Management University, The National Library or Consortium of Uganda, and, Uganda National Teachers’ Union.
This activity is a follow up meeting to the Second Policy Board and Management Committee meeting on ICTs and Disabilities that was held on 15 April 2015 in Kampala, Uganda. It falls within the framework of UNESCO’s Main Line of Actions to enable universal access and preservation of information and knowledge and the Expected Result to promote Open Solutions for Knowledge Societies in Uganda.