Side Event: Building ocean science, technology and related capacities toward achieving sustainable development of the ocean and seas (UN Ocean Conference Preparatory Meeting)
This event will aim to discuss means of implementation of SDG14 related to scientific research, ocean observation, particularly in the context of ocean acidification, capacity development and transfer of marine technology in the perspective of the UN SDG 14 conference. In particular, the panel will:
Identify key scientific and related capacity development challenges in implementation of SDG 14;
Discuss opportunities for scaling up existing efforts in international marine research and particularly ocean acidification;
Identity potential multistakeholder partnerships focused on scientific knowledge, capacity development and transfer of marine technology, to be presented at the UN Conference.
Opening remarks by the moderators
- H.E. Aliioaiga Feturi Elisaia, Permanent Representative of Samoa to the United Nations
- Andreas Motzfeldt Kravik, Counsellor, Legal Affairs, Permanent Mission of Norway to the United Nations
- Vladmir Ryabinin, Executive Secretary, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission SDG 14 Scientific Paradigm.
- Xolisa Mabhongo, IAEA Representative, Ocean Acidification observation is getting global.
- Jan Mees, Flemish Institute of the Sea, Measuring the contribution of ocean science at national level through the Global Ocean Science Report.
- Asha Singh, Caribbean Expert, Capacity development and related technology transfer in ocean science contributing to sustainable development.
- Peter Haugan, IOC Chair, Proposal for a Decade on Ocean Science for Sustainable Development
Question and Answer and general discussion