Presentation meeting of the World Humanities Conference
A presentation meeting will be organized on 21 June 2016 about the World Humanities Conference to be held in Liège, Belgium, from 6 to 12 August 2017.
In partnership with the International Council for Philosophy and Human Sciences and Liège Together, UNESCO is preparing the World Humanities Conference, a major event which will involve actors from all fields of the humanities worldwide. Held in Liège, Belgium, from 6 to 12 August 2017, the Conference will focus on the role and scope of the humanities in contemporary society.
There is a growing awareness, in face of critical ongoing societal and environmental trends, that the specific knowledge of the humanities is insufficiently considered in public agendas, with often detrimental consequences.
The Conference will foster a re-foundation of the humanities based on a polycentric approach. Starting from the need to rethink the scope and role of human sciences in contemporary society, affirming the relevance of the humanities for everyday life, the Conference will establish a new agenda for the humanities, with educational, research and policy-making implications in the various countries and regions of the world.
The presentation meeting, with the participation of the various organizing partners, will present the World Humanities Conference as well as the various preparatory events that will feed into it, starting with a Regional Conference on Science and Civilization of the Silk Roads held in Beijing, in December 2015, and including regional thematic conferences in Brazil (October 2016, focusing on landscape management and the humanities), Mali (November 2016, focusing on history, languages and culture) and in the Arab region (early 2017) as well as specific disciplinary events (among others: February 2016 in Mariana, Brazil; March 2016 in Mação, Portugal; June 2016 in Macao, China; and the celebration of World Philosophy Day 2016) and the 4th World Humanities Forum (27-29 October 2016, Sejon City, Republic of Korea).
Information will also be provided on the link between the World Humanities Conference and the International Year of Global Understanding.
List of speakers at the presentation meeting:
1. M. Robert Halleux, General Secretary of the World Humanities Conference : presentation of the speakers.
2. M. Dendev Badarch, Director of the Division of Social Transformations and Intercultural Dialogue, MOST Executive Secretary.
3. H. E. M. Jean-Joël Schittecatte, Permanent Delegate of the Kingdom of Belgium to UNESCO.
4. Mrs. Fabienne Reuter, General Delegate of Wallonia-Brussels in Paris.
5. M. André Gilles, Deputy-President of the Provincial College of Liege, President of the Foundation (short film).
6. Professor Chao Gejin, President of CIPSH and Co-president of the International Programme Committee.
7. H. E. M. Adama Samassékou, President of the Conference.
8. M. Jean Winand, Dean, Co-president of the International Programme Committee, who will present the content.