Learning to live with climate change - accelerating climate change education and awareness-raising
At the COP 20 in 2014 in Peru, Ministers and heads of delegation adopted The Lima Ministerial Declaration on Education and Awareness-raising. This Declaration calls on governments to include climate change into school curricula and climate awareness into national development and climate change plans.
More and more governments have integrated education strategies, tools and targets into national development policies supported by Article 6 of the Climate Convention and initiatives like the UN Alliance on Climate Change Education, Training and Public Awareness. In June 2015, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) gave Article 6 new impetus by calling for accelerated action on education, training and public awareness under the new bold banner: Action for Climate Empowerment (ACE).
The objectives of the event are to:
• solicit commitments from policy makers and the education community
• motivate exchange of knowledge among IGOs, civil society, academia and youth
• highlight partnerships and opportunities for scaling up education on climate change
• identify innovative ways of scaling up, especially how to effectively engage all the stakeholders in this transformation
• showcase examples of national CCE programmes