The first follow-Up meeting of the 5th International Conference of Ministers and Senior Officials Responsible for Physical Education and Sport (MINEPS V) for the Latin American and the Caribbean Region is organized in cooperation between UNESCO and the Instituto Colombiano del Deporte (COLDEPORTES). The event will gather representatives of Ministries of Sport of the Latin American and Caribbean region and members of UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Council for Physical Education and Sport (CIGEPS) to decide on concrete commitments for the implementation of the Declaration of Berlin adopted by MINEPS V.
The meeting is a first in a row of regional and expert consultations with a view to implementing the strategy that has been designed for the follow-up of MINEPS V (cf. 37 C/INF.16).
The Declaration of Berlin and its over seventy commitments and recommendations are the legitimate expression of a global consensus amongst political decision makers, experts and practitioners on the principles and orientations that should guide national and international sport and physical education policies, with particular attention given to then following issues:
• Access to Sport as a Fundamental Right for All
• Access of women and girls;
• Inclusion of persons with disabilities.
• Promoting Investment in Sport and Physical Education Programmes
• Promoting quality physical education;
• Sport mega events and their sustainability.
• Preserving the Integrity of Sport
• Commitment to the values of sport and the fight against match fixing, illegal betting, doping and corruption in sport.