Consultative meeting on the UNESCO-China Funds-in-Trust Project on “Enhancing Teacher Education for Bridging the Education Quality Gap in Africa”
The meeting is organized by the Section for Teacher Development and Education Policies of the Education Sector, UNESCO (ED/THE/TEP).
The main objective is to familiarize participants with the project, and to consult with the relevant government officials, core staff of Teacher Training Institutions (TTIs) and UNESCO field colleagues to prepare relevant and feasible implementation plan based on the specific context and needs of the target countries.
More specially, the meeting aims to:
• give an overall orientation of the project;
• share lessons learned from the three beneficiary countries of the first phase of the project (Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Namibia);
• analyze the current status and assess key issues and challenges on teachers, especially in TTIs and their programmes, leading towards the formulation of appropriate and relevant project support activities in the five new beneficiary countries (Congo, DR Congo, Liberia, Tanzania, Uganda);
• establish a systematic coordination mechanism to effectively implement and monitor the in-country project activities; and
• discuss and prepare an initial project roadmap, including the establishment of a national team and needs assessment phase.