UNESCO Week for Peace and Sustainable Development: The Role of Education
As the leading UN agency mandated on education, UNESCO aims to ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge, skills, and values needed to promote a sustainable and peaceful society. Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and Global Citizenship Education (GCED) are two major programmes, that have continuously gained momentum since the UN Decade on ESD for the year 2005-2014 and the launch of the United Nations Global Education First Initiative in 2012. ESD and GCED are also now both included under Sustainable Development Goal 4 - Target 4.7 of the 2030 Agenda.
UNESCO and the Canadian Commission for UNESCO are jointly organizing the UNESCO week for Peace and Sustainable Development: The Role of Education to take place 6-10 March, 2017 in Ottawa, Canada. The week offers a unique opportunity to bring together under one banner two distinct events:
- The Review Forum for the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP), serves as an important platform to review GAP implementation since November 2014 and discuss the way forward for the following years. It also explores emerging ESD issues, trends and ideas.
- The Third UNESCO Forum on Global Citizenship Education (GCED): The Role of Teachers draws on the foundational work of two previous fora held in Bangkok, Thailand (December 2013) and in Paris, France (January 2015), which gathered international participants to discuss trends and exchange good practices. The Third GCED Forum will be dedicated to the central role of teachers and teacher educators in the effective promotion of GCED.
As the event is being held in Ottawa, the week will also provide an opportunity to showcase Canadian innovation and leadership in the areas of ESD and GCED.
- Enable the exchange of good practices and experiences in the field of ESD and GCED, and the role of teachers in particular
- Present the opportunity for participants to learn about the current trends and innovations in pedagogical approaches and practices in ESD and GCED around the world
- Provide space for participants to discuss strategies to implement Target 4.7.
Participation is by invitation only
400 education experts, teachers, educators and officials from all around the world are expected to attend the UNESCO Week for Peace and Sustainable Development.
|Education for Sustainable Development: Children speak up!||Learning to live together in peace through Global Citizenship Education|