Women in Film
New Zealand Film Commission
Key objectives of the measure:
To increase awareness of gender equality in the New Zealand screen industry.
Scope of the measure:
Nature of the measure:
Main feature of the measure:
As part of the New Zealand Film Commission’s ‘Diverse Voices’ strategy, programmes and initiatives are being developed to support film makers from all backgrounds and encourage them to express their unique voices through original storytelling.
The initiative 'Women in Film' is commited to increasing awareness of gender equality in the New Zealand screen insdustry. This involves:
- collecting and publishing information and statistics on women working in the screen industry
- setting a 50 percent target participation rate for women film makers in the professional development area
- identifying and engaging with female film makers
- encouraging proposals from guilds and industry organisations that support the professional development of women in the screen industry
- an Annual Scholarship Programme that offers scholarships across different disciplines in the screen industry where female participation is low. The first scholarship was awarded in 2015.
Results expected through the implementation of the measure:
To enhance understanding about how to increase the participation and retention of women in the industry.
Financial resources allocated to implement the measure:
Unable to determine
Area(s) of Monitoring
Cinema/ Audiovisual Arts