Reading competition for juniors.
Sultan Qaboos Higher Center for Culture and Science organized many activities and lectures that aim to increase the intellectual and cultural awareness. The most prominent activity is “read competition for juniors” in order to develop junior’s tendencies and trends towards reading, emphasize social and cultural importance of reading, train them on search skills for information from its sources and connect them to libraries. The competition’s idea summed up in dividing competitors to the two levels, each level has its own pattern which quadrates with mental and cognitive level of juniors. Specific books are determined for both levels where objective and theory questions have been made taking into account the age category. The competitor gets a period of time which does not exceed two weeks to answer questions. The answer should be answered in fifteen centers across the governorates of the Sultanate in order to connect competitors to the sources of information and ensure their ability to answer by themselves.
Estimated number of contestants in (2012-2015):
Total of both levels
The main features of the measure are:
1. Highlights the importance of reading and its cultural and civilizational role.
2. Spreads importance of reading among the juniors.
3. Spreads awareness about the importance and methods of research and information gathering among the juniors.
4. Develops and raises the literacy abilities of young people.
The results expected through the implementation of the measure are:
1. Increasinf the reading turnout and awareness of its importance.
2. Developing reading skills among juniors.
3. Elevating the level of reading across the Sultanate.
4. Existence of aware generation of the importance and civilizational and cultural role of reading.
The financial support are provided by Royal Court Affairs