National Strategy for the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities for the period 2007 to 2015
The goal of the National Strategy for the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities (2007-2015) is to further and strengthen protection of persons with disabilities and children with developmental difficulties. In order to ensure that persons with disabilities can participate in cultural activities on an equal basis, the state tries to ensure conditions in which persons with disabilities can express their creative, artistic and intellectual capabilities. Therefore, among fifteen strategic areas in the document, one is dedicated to participation in cultural life, developed through six different measures.
The strategic area on supporting the participation in cultural life of persons with disabilities is developed through six measures:
1. Constant stimulation and support to projects establishing creative and artistic possibilities of persons with disabilities;
2. To ensure the participation of theatre and other artistic soloists and groups of persons with disabilities in regular cultural manifestations (festivals, cultural gatherings and other cultural manifestations) under equal conditions;
3. To stimulate networking and inclusion of persons with disabilities in cultural projects at international, national and local level;
4. To make the public sensible to artistic work of persons with disabilities;
5. To encourage and establish cooperation with potential sponsors and donors (firms,
companies, private entrepreneurs, banks and other social and business subjects);
6. To amend regulations in order to ensure equal opportunities for persons with disabilities in culture.
In order to implement these measures a number of activities are developed with different stakeholders involved. Various cultural activities ranging from manifestations to programme activities of associations are encouraged and make an integral part to public needs in culture of the Republic of Croatia.
The expected goals to be achieved in implementation of the measures include: adjusting the legal regulations in order to conduct more efficiently the inclusion of persons with disabilities in the cultural life and activities; enabling the development and establishment of creative possibilities of persons with disabilities and enabling their equal inclusion into the cultural life together with other participants; ensuring for persons with disabilities the acquisition of the status of freelance artists so that they can make profit from their artistic work; covering systematically, through media, the work and achievements of persons with disabilities in culture; providing access to cultural institutions (museums, galleries, theatres, cinemas, concert, halls, etc.) for persons with disabilities and monitor their programmes by using modern technical facilities; providing access and/or professional information, i.e. experience of cultural heritage for persons with disabilities: of historical buildings, sites, works of arts, traditional material and immaterial heritage; and encouraging the participation of sponsors and donors when conducting programmes and manifestations of persons with disabilities associations.