National Institute of Performing Arts
The National Institute of Performing Arts was created in 2008. Its objectives are the promotion, protection, strengthening and dissemination of all forms of performing arts as well as the preparation of policies aimed at the promotion of theatre, dance, puppet theatre and circus in the country as well as their presence abroad. It pays special attention to the support of national writers and creators.
Challenges identified in the implementation of this measure:
Drawing up a concept capable of positioning it at the regional and international level.
Its foundation follows an initiative of the National Directorate of Culture as part of its new institutional structure. Work within its area of competence follows various lines of action:
- Support for the arts through cooperation with relevant local, national and international events.
- National Theatre Network: formed by public and independent theatres and cultural spaces with the purpose of ensuring the mobility of cultural goods and services throughout the country, promoting the education and training of theatre managers, helping to reach out to new audiences and to stimulate the maintenance and development of the cultural infrastructure. (www.rednacionaldeteatros.wordpress.com)
- Drama and Virtual Classrooms Network. (www.dramaturgiauruguaya.gub.uy)
- MEC Programme: oriented towards making access to theatres easier for groups of artists in search of venues for their shows.
- On Stage with the Masters: its objective is the rescue of the living memories of protagonists of our performing arts world through the preparation and dissemination of audiovisual material based on filmed interviews. TB broadcasts by City TV (TV Ciudad) began in November 2011, further transmissions by Uruguayan National Television (Televisión Nacional del Uruguay) are planned in 2012.
- Publishing project: focuses on the publishing of drama texts and drama criticism.
- Nationwide project: tries to accompany and generate activities related to the performing arts throughout the country, with an emphasis on building new audiences.
- Support for the Realization of the International Performing Arts Festival. ( www.fidae.gub.uy)
This cultural policy approach makes it possible to disseminate the works of Uruguayan drama writers and to make them more accessible; it creates opportunities for the promotion of the national scenic arts.